Anyone running RAM Disk?
Star 
A ram drive XBMC would be a pretty interesting project, which might be possible to set-up as an add-on script/program. If I'm not mistaken Dameon Tools can be set-up to survive a soft boot. The idea would be to set-up an (expandable/select-able) ram drive using a batch script, copy the contents needed from the XBMC folders, and do some sort of symbolic link.
Whats the story of this in Windows? I have a new Zacate system but browsing through the library with a fan art view/posters is kinda slow at times on my non-SSD drive. I have plenty of RAM to spare as it has 4GB. I'm very new to this so I have a few questions.

1- Would I need to do a new install onto the RAM Disk?
2- How do I point my userData folder to reside only on the RAM Disk
3- What software is recommended for creating/managing RAM disk in windows
4- What is needed to safely keep XBMC's library sync'd in the RAM Disk.

Sorry if I'm spamming the linux page.
svinyard Wrote:Whats the story of this in Windows? I have a new Zacate system but browsing through the library with a fan art view/posters is kinda slow at times on my non-SSD drive. I have plenty of RAM to spare as it has 4GB. I'm very new to this so I have a few questions.

1- Would I need to do a new install onto the RAM Disk?
2- How do I point my userData folder to reside only on the RAM Disk
3- What software is recommended for creating/managing RAM disk in windows
4- What is needed to safely keep XBMC's library sync'd in the RAM Disk.

Sorry if I'm spamming the linux page.

+1...also interested in trying this for Windows.
Quote:+1...also interested in trying this for Windows.

You need to install a software to get a ram drive. Use google and do not post any further in this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:A ram drive XBMC would be a pretty interesting project, which might be possible to set-up as an add-on script/program. If I'm not mistaken Dameon Tools can be set-up to survive a soft boot. The idea would be to set-up an (expandable/select-able) ram drive using a batch script, copy the contents needed from the XBMC folders, and do some sort of symbolic link.
Doesnt daemon tool work bad on linux?

Quote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...379#post807379
there are a number of 3rd party tools for ramdisks on windows. I did some research today and it looks like 1 good option is dataram. I haven't used it yet but it fairs well in speed tests and is free to use for ramdisks 4GB or smaller.
I've used the Dataram ramdisk under windows xp and windows 7. For xbmc, you need to make it at least 768MB to account for fanart, large libraries, etc. But it makes xbmc fly.

The nice thing about the Dataram ramdisk is that you can set it to load a ramdisk file on startup. So you can install xbmc to a ramdisk folder, run it in portable mode ("xbmc.exe -p"), and make whatever changes or additions you want, and when you shutdown the ramdisk it writes the contents out to a file. This way, the next time you load the ramdisk, it loads up exactly where you left off.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone running RAM Disk?0