Folders only...
Hi there, I'm sure this has been asked on here before, but It's a difficult one to search for! Didn't even know what to call the topic really.

I wanted to know if there was a way to just use the natural folder structure in XBMC, instead of online data generated folders. I'm asking this because my folder hierarchy is set up exactly how I want it with artwork and also, XBMC seems very confused by how my files are named... So much so, it doesn't even show 99% of my collection and has my Sci-fi folder named "Sci-fi Harry", with just a few random episodes of Heroes in there.. Very confused indeed!

Many Thanks
Matt
you can use the current version of XBMC in file mode or in library mode. When you use file mode it will just display your directory structure but will not display all the metadata associated with the files.

Library mode will display all the metadata, whether that is scraped from the online databases or your local info (of course the local info must be in a format with naming conventions that XBMC expects). You can 'override' online databases by creating your own .nfo files and saving your own artwork

So your solution will depend on how you want your collection displayed. Do you want all the bells and whistles of library mode (and the problems that may occur when XBMC can't recognise your files) or do you want the boring old file mode? You may also want to note that in the next version of XBMC it looks as though library and file mode are going to be quite different so you may want to sort out your issues now.

It sounds like you are using library mode and due to your naming conventions XBMC is unable to recognise some (most?) of your files.

If you post your directory structure, naming conventions for files, images, nfo files etc and how you want this all to be displayed you may get some more ideas as to how you can set it up to take full advantage of XBMC. Also check out the wiki entries on all of this stuff as it may answer some of your questions.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Sounds like you have already done manually what the scrapers do automatically... if you obey all the scaraping rules and if your content is entered by someone on the scraper sites.
So it would seem that renaming/reorganizing your content wouldn't really benefit you. All you need from here is .nfo files to tell xbmc what and how to display your material in library mode.
This post will get you on your way nicely
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=890800&postcount=5

note: by creating your own .nfo files (notepad.txt files renamed *.nfo) you can sort your season, episodes etc. any way you like without having to follow the organization of the scrapers. You do have to list a season and episode number under TV Shows in library mode however. Season folders are optional too. You can list 6 seasons of one show as all s1e1 if you wanted to.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Thanks, for the responses! I'll quickly get my head round the nfo code and give it a go! I predict some hard work ahead...

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Folders only...0