ATV2 connection to NAS.
Hi All,

I am having issue with getting an ethernet cable installed at my house and am looking at alternatives, can anyone tell me if I am able to attach something like the Western Digital 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander to work as a NAS via an ethernet cable and bypass my iMac?

Cheers,

Yammy
yammy Wrote:Hi All,

I am having issue with getting an ethernet cable installed at my house and am looking at alternatives, can anyone tell me if I am able to attach something like the Western Digital 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander to work as a NAS via an ethernet cable and bypass my iMac?

Cheers,

Yammy

That device has no networking capabilities, it's merely a hard drive, so no, you won't be able to. Unless I'm looking at the wrong device.

Have you considered Wireless N setup?

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Hi,

Currently using a wireless N setup the issue of buffering is my main reason for wanting to go wired, the other option I am looking at is ethernet over power but I'm not sure of the reliability of this technology.

Cheers,

Yammy
I have an airport extreme with USB port for a hard drive. I plug my ATV2 into one of the Ethernet ports and just stream from the shared drive that way. It Works nicely, my Mac just connects to the drive via wireless N for saving files to it - But as the airport extreme is sharing the drive my Mac does not need to be left on.

The other alternative is a proper NAS unit, which are getting cheaper it seems.
I am using power-line adapters plugged into a crappy old router.
Whilst it promises around 200 Mbps in reality it is only about 60 but this is on a par with previous Wireless G wifi network.
However, it is rock solid and given some comments about ATV2 wireless connectivity it completely satisfies my needs.

I can stream 720p HD movies no problems from my external drive that is plugged into my mac-mini.
--
XBMC HUB - THE NEW HOME FOR ADD-ONS and PLUGINS
Read how my ATV2 installation went
ATV2 one week on ... it's getting better all the time
XBMC/ATV2 - Feeling the love
--
XBMC:
Platform - Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 4.3 (Build 8F305)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
Platform - Darwin OSX (8.8.2 i386, Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N6014)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
http://www.amazon.com/Addonics-NASU2-NAS...B001OC5J9U

Never used it myself, but there's one option.

EDIT: Looks like it only supports FAT 32 and not anything else (like NTFS), so I would not recommend that specific adapter. However, the basic idea is the same. Just search for "USB NAS adapter" and you'll see a lot of devices like this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 connection to NAS.0