Buffering problem streaming over wired network
Hello,

I have been searching high and low for a solution to my problem with no luck so far.

I have a media server WHS2011 wich was planned to store movies , and then watch them on my media pc, however this has become a real problem becuase of constant buffering problems.

Specs: Whs media server- intel q6700 , Asus Pq5pro, 8gb ddr2, 10xsamsung 2tb disks.

Network: dlink dir-655 gbit router,

Media PC: intel i52500k, nvidia8800gt, 4gbddr31600, zotac z68mini itx intel 80gb ssd g2.

File transfer between server and pc is about 50-80mb/s transfering movies.

Problem: watching movies in xbmc causes buffering each 20-40 secounds , sometimes more often sometimes less.

I have tried disabling antivirus, the network is gigabit, and the speed should be no problem.
I have changed alle the cables - no luck
I have installed a netgear readynasduo dirctly on router- same issue
I have tested another gigabit router - same issue
i have tested a external hard drive on the router - same issue

i have copied movies to the mediapc - PLAYS FLAWLESS

i have tested the built in wireless on the media pc- PLAYS FLAWLESS

I find this very strange , that im able to play movies over wireless withouth buffering. (copy speed about 4-5mb/s)
While my gigabit wired network is having problems playing withouth buffering..
(copy speeds about 50-80mb/s

Is there anybody out there that have experienced this?

Please help, im running out of options.

Legend.
why don't you try another release of xbmc? try the nightly builds and see.
My guess is some setting in your router firmware/software, an ethernet driver on your HTPC, some setting somwhere along the line. Make sure all your firmware and drivers are up to date. See if that makes a difference. Another trick is to roll back to an earlier driver just in case the latest is buggy.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
I've had a similar issue recently, I've narrowed my problem down to my gigabit router. It starts to overheat, letting it cool for a few minutes and rebooting it seems to solve the issue for me at least for a few hours.

you haven't listed what OS your media center pc is, but if it's windows 7 you could go into the control panel, performance, advanced tools and use the performance monitor to log all kinds of stats on your network traffic. this might help you determine why it's buffering.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering problem streaming over wired network0