My XBMC is now totally useless please help
Hello and thank you. I have been using XBMC for a few months now and its the dopest thing ive ever used. Im running pre-eden from ubuntu repository and as times gone on its been getting more and more unstable to the point now where it freezes right after it starts. I recently installed 10.1 on my dads windoze 7 and its rock solid. I managed to download the 10.1 for ubuntu and have tried to install it but im a windoze convert and havent learned the command line well yet. Im wondering if i can install it off the livecd maybe, but will it update to 11.0 if i do install it? i would love to be able to show this off without it crashing and freezing. I have quite a few crash logs if that helps. Im willing to buy someone a couple beers in exchange for help.
Thank you in advance.

Also ive tried the ppa but im told i dont have permission.
you should be able to add the ppa quite easily, are you typing 'sudo' in front of the commands you are running? If not then that's probably why you are told you don't have permission.
the website tells me i dont have permission. as far as the command line goes, ill try the commands if you could inform me as to what to type.

edit: i dont have permission to the previous stable ppa because i cant register my keys
Try this. You will loose all your settings, repos, addons, etc but not your media.
1) Open Synaptic (System->Administration)
2) Search for XBMC
3) right click on xbmc -> complete removal
4) repeat for any other xbmc files found during search
5) Apply
6) Then it's time to remove the repo. Synaptic -> Repositories. Select the one (might be two) you want to disable. Disable or delete them.
7) After removing/disabling the current ppa in synaptic click refresh.
8) Make sure nothing is found in a search for xbmc, if it is, you didn't disable the correct repo.
9) Open your home folder. Press CTRL+H to see hidden files. Find .xbmc and send it to trash.
10) Open Terminal and paste this in:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

11) In terminal paste,

sudo apt-get update

12) then in terminal

sudo apt-get install xbmc.

You should now have a clean xbmc (dharma) with no settings left over from the previous install. Now you can add your media, addon, etc like normal.

EDIT: If you don't have permission for some reason (are you not the admin of the system?) Check that System->Users-> *Your username*-> Advanced Settings -> User Privileges-> Administer the system is checked.
Nothing to see here....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My XBMC is now totally useless please help0