Airplay to XMBC videos not rotating - it's upside down!!
I have same thing here, in some of my recordings on iPad/iPhone. I knew it is due to my bad shooting with the wrong angle, even though clips will be played fine on the iDevices, but not on my PC or XBMC.
kim1406 Wrote:I have same thing here, in some of my recordings on iPad/iPhone. I knew it is due to my bad shooting with the wrong angle, even though clips will be played fine on the iDevices, but not on my PC or XBMC.

This doesn't change anything to the statement from davilla. We can't do anything about it until ffmpeg upstream developers make this bit accessible to us...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but has anyone noticed that pictures on the iphone lose aspect ratio when being "airplayed?" It seems to me that its getting squished (only from the sides, not from top/bottom) when being airplayed.

aka picture on iphone = rectangle

picture on tv = square
On the topic: As noted, this issue is a bug within iOS, if you use the volume controls to start recording video or take photos, then they will be upside down. If you use the touchscreen to initiate image capture (moving or still), then the screen orientation data will be recorded with the file correctly.
pTeronaut Wrote:On the topic: As noted, this issue is a bug within iOS, if you use the volume controls to start recording video or take photos, then they will be upside down. If you use the touchscreen to initiate image capture (moving or still), then the screen orientation data will be recorded with the file correctly.

Where is this noted exactly? What you're saying is simply not the case. Having tried it myself this is most defiantly not the case.

Screen orientation must be recorded correctly with either method or the file wouldn't display correctly on your iPhone. The problem is that this information is either not being passed (such as appears to be with ffmeg) or not being used (e.g. when you try to view in windows media player) depending what method you use to display the picture.
my fix is to rotate lock my Iphone in the correct orientation before beginning the AirPlay session...
Doesn't seem to work for my GuyJustHere. The video on the tv is still upside down regardless of rotate lock on my iPhone, and regardless of which orientation I use to play the video on my iPhone. I don't really see how the rotate of the video would matter, it is the player software determining the top and bottom, not the rotation of the iphone when using airplay.

Since apple tells everybody to shoot videos and photos with the volume buttons on top, all my videos and photo's are effectively "upside down". But the photo's show correctly, so part of airplay in xbmc must be reading the meta data correctly and flipping the display. Just not with the video.

oh well, it was a neat concept.
I still don't get why its so hard to hold the phone in the right orientation during recording, but we are already working on a solution (there is even a trac ticket and we pulled some of the needed code into mainline already. "only some opengl magic" for doing the video rotation on the GPU and we are done).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
According to Apple, the "right orientation" is with the volume buttons up. Since you can use the volume buttons as the start/stop for video and for taking a snapshot. It is much easier than having to use the touch screen to start and stop. I can start and stop video without really looking at the phone since I can use a physical button.

Unfortunately that is not the way the sensor is oriented. So yeah, if apple is promoting that orientation (which you can clearly see in all their advertisements where they show the camera being used) they should have flipped the dang sensor. Because they didn't do this, I not have tons of videos that look right in apple software, but not in anything else. Luckily uploading to youtube orients the video correctly.

Thanks for working on a solution Memphiz. I'm excited to try it out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Airplay to XMBC videos not rotating - it's upside down!!0