HTPC Build
Hi, I am selling off my current HTPC box and building a new one..

Here is what I have picked out How does this look?
Case - APEX MI-100 - $55
CPU - Pentium-G620 - $74
MOBO - Asrock H67M-ITX/HT - $150
GPU - ZOTAC ZT-40603-10L GeForce GT 430 Low Profile - $60 (and $30 MIR)
Fan - Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM - $25
Ram - G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 1333 - $20
SDD - OCZ Vertex 30GB - $61 (and $15 MIR)
= $445 + Tax and shipping = $536 - $45 MIR = $491

What I want to be able to do is watch 1080p. Don't really care (presently) about streaming from hulu/netflix since I am in canada and we don't get that. Will most likely use the xbmc live or ubuntu. (May run windows 7 in future)
Is the G620 good or would switching to the G840 be worth the extra $25. I don't mind upgrading to the G840 (or heck even the i3) if it will clearly make xbmc run better, but if there is zero difference, then no point.

Motherboard seems a bit overkill but I really love the internal WiFi and IR..
I think I will probably swap out the motherboard for GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3 to save $80 since I can live with a wired connection, and have a ISB IR Receiver anyways..
So will everything I picked fit in the case ok? And how does this build look? Although this build is getting fairly expensive and wouldn't mind something cheaper...
If I switch the motherboard comes to $412 after shipping and MIR
for htpc, you're probably not going to see very much different between g620 and g840.

you'll get better performance with gt430 than gt210.

a lot of htpc users stay away from ocz ssd, and this one might be a better choice- Corsair Force CSSD-F40GB2-A 2.5" 40GB
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
ok cool thanks for the info. Not sure if I will swap out the SSD or not... extra $35... although guess also get extra 10 gigs to.. I have been running an OCZ ssd in my desktop computer for 8 months and no problem.. but ill do some research on it.. one I linked has 550 reviews with 4 star average.
bluray Wrote:for htpc, you're probably not going to see very much different between g620 and g840.

just a little, G840 only $10 more anyways

bluray Wrote:you'll get better performance with gt430 than gt210.

your PC wont feel faster

bluray Wrote:a lot of htpc users stay away from ocz ssd

+1

bluray Wrote:this one might be a better choice- Corsair Force CSSD-F40GB2-A 2.5" 40GB

+1
eskro Wrote:just a little, G840 only $10 more anyways
in htpc usage, i'm not sure you can see any ui improvement w/ extra 200MHz.

eskro Wrote:your PC wont feel faster
well, better gpu is not necessary make your pc faster, but it will give you smoother playback experience!
You might wanna check out the Rosewill equivalent case too; has gotten better reviews than the Apex.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6811147131

Do you think you'd have room for a 2.5" SSD + 3.5" HDD?

Just curious, because I have a very similar 'portable' XBMC HTPC like this in mind for a winter project. I'd be more inclined for this route over an ION1/2 solution as well.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:You might wanna check out the Rosewill equivalent case too; has gotten better reviews than the Apex.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6811147131

Do you think you'd have room for a 2.5" SSD + 3.5" HDD?

Just curious, because I have a very similar 'portable' XBMC HTPC like this in mind for a winter project. I'd be more inclined for this route over an ION1/2 solution as well.
if you are concern about review, this APEX MI-008 has better reviews than both cases that are listed here. even though the case is very small, it still have enough room for both 2.5" ssd and 3.5" hdd and full side bd-rom too.
Never mind. See the expansion slot now - hope it works for you.

Lemme know how it goes - might follow with a similar build.

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
APEX MI-008 and APEX MI-100 are exactly the same as you know,,,

APEX MI-100 has a mirror finish all around + more ventilation holes which is a good thing
I am only going with a 2.5" ssd. I don't need a HDD, I am grabbing all the content off my NAS box.
so i received this system today..
I changed the mobo to the cheaper one. As for the CPU i was going to go for the g840 but then the i3 2100 was only na extra $20 more than that.. So just went with the i3 instead.

Anyways, the video card does not fit the case. with the video cards heat sync and fan and sticks out the side and i wouldnt be able to get the cover back on the case.
Not sure what I am going to do now...

I have an ATI 3450 that is passive in my work computer.. and I checked it and it does fit the case fine. How would the 3450 compare to the gt430 and gt210? Also, I think I am going to go with windows instead of ubuntu
If you're going to run anything Linux forget about ATI.

PS: Had you previously seen this guy?

http://www.zotacusa.com/intel-lga-1155-z...x-b-e.html

well i decided im going to run windows. and i already have the mothebroard
Do you know if the 3450 is good enough?
harmar, you did not follow my guide correctly,
as GT430 i suggest the ASUS GT340

harmar Wrote:well i decided im going to run windows. and i already have the mothebroard
Do you know if the 3450 is good enough?

1080P playback starts with Radeon HD4xxx if i recall good,,,
ah ok i must have missed that.. didn't know that there would be an issue fitting the cards.
so you can confirm that one fits the case? In the image it looks like the heatsink is very tall but could just be misleading.

also is the ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP) the same as ASUS ENGT430/DI/1GD3/MG(LP)
Not sure what the MG means

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build0