• 4(current)
Finally a worthy AMD mini-ITX CPU??
bluray Wrote:i wouldn't bet on that 120w to power everything. you might want to verify the overall power consumption here- eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

Unfortunately that calculator does not seem to cover the newer Llano cpus.
The calculaor doesn'T seems up to date really. I was under the impression that 120w was enough.

Post your results if you have something voip-ninja!
Balinus Wrote:The calculaor doesn'T seems up to date really. I was under the impression that 120w was enough.

I am still looking. Based on the Toms Hardware article that looked at i3 vs AMD A8, etc, it would seem that most of these machines will max out around the 150 watt range in real world testing... so, I would say that 120 watt is out, although I'm not sure what they had in their test configs or how hard they were hammering the systems.

XBMC really should not be pushing the system any where near 100% load, for more than a few seconds at a time... but, it might be one of those "better safe than sorry" situations. I do suspect that with the A4-3400 and nothing but a single case fan, single SSD, motherboard and RAM that 150 watts would be plenty, but the only way to find out is to test it and I'm not sure if I want to do such an expensive experiment when I started off ready to buy a Mac Mini and be done with it.
Balinus Wrote:The calculaor doesn'T seems up to date really. I was under the impression that 120w was enough.

here are more info on power consumption- power supply calculator and Power Consumption: System/CPU Peak. why take a risk of not having enough power? it's better to have a slightly more power than slightly less power!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:here are more info on power consumption- power supply calculator and Power Consumption: System/CPU Peak. why take a risk of not having enough power? it's better to have a slightly more power than slightly less power!

Probably because PSU choice so greatly impacts what kind of case, etc, someone can put their build in.
eskro Wrote:yes, probably with a GPU card installed...
as we all know, INTEL gfx are ****

Just thought I would further follow up on this, as I've been scratching my head about it. I remembered that the ASROCK Vision 3D pre-built HTPC has an external PSU (at least as far as I know it is external), and it has Intel I3 + 425M or 525M GPU... so if this is such a non-starter to have an external PSU how are they doing it?

I ended up finding an article that tested the power consumption of this machine, and it came in at a maximum of only 67 watts.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/ASRock-Vi...ay/?page=6

So, considering that the A4-3400M should use quite a bit LESS power than an i3 with external graphics card, I have to imagine that pico psu would be absolutely fine for it. Perhaps those who have had continual troubles with them had low quality units?

Not sure... and not discounting others experiences but thought this information might be handy.
Balinus Wrote:Nice! They happen to have in stock some items that I wanted from newegg.ca.

Ok , so i am done waiting, About to order the A4.

[CPU] AMD A4-3400 APU: 69.99$+0$
[CASE+PSU] Apex MI-100 Black mITX 250W (already purchased)
[HEATSINK] Scythe Kozuti SCKZT-1000 :27.79$+0$
[MOBO] ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 HD-6410D USB3 SATA-III mITX: $94.99+$10.74(ouch)
Canadian Funds
I ve got a couple of DDr3 and a 30gb SSD . I'll need a wireless keyboard, a dongle for my Cheap Harmony remote and that should be it.
I included a heatsink due to the low clearance between Cpu &PSU on that case +/-5cm. Let me know if you guys have a better idea , and i don't want any picopsu, i value my components..Big Grin
Windows7+xbmc+WMC for live tv.
Djangostar Wrote:Ok , so i am done waiting, About to order the A4.

[CPU] AMD A4-3400 APU: 69.99$+0$
i'm not a fan of igpu, but give it a try and let us know how it turn out.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
was excited to see this came out and have been wanting to build a new mini-itx htpc, thus ordered and built as well
spec:
AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W

ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75

Habey EMC-800B Black

Crucial M4 64GB ssd

2 x G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (spare lying around)

So far, picture quality is great, bluray/1080p iso/rip playback works (thanks to bluray guide/thread). Have not test hulu HD and netflix yet. But everything looking good so far.

PS: Been lurking on forum for awhile, just want to say thanks to XBMC team and especially to bluray, eskro, and poofyhairguy (for all the guides and advices) for making XBMC noob-friendly and an enjoyable experience to build and use.
Good to hearBig Grin
Any tweaking needed ? Issues with the setup ?

I just ordered my Parts (waited for the wife to sleep Big Grin)
so should have all the parts by friday . Will keep u posted .
Djangostar Wrote:Good to hearBig Grin
Any tweaking needed ? Issues with the setup ?

I just ordered my Parts (waited for the wife to sleep Big Grin)
so should have all the parts by friday . Will keep u posted .

Using nightly built, xbmc works very nice with Aeon MQ3 skin . The only problem so far is getting feedback from sub due to some interference when using direct analog connection (connect htpc to logitech z5500 direct analog), which didnt happened on my old htpc. Switching to optical works fine with no interference. But then when watching bluray disc/iso through TMT5, I cant control volume through htpc, and have to control thru the z5500 because of spdif connection in tmt5 setting.
pyrospawn Wrote:was excited to see this came out and have been wanting to build a new mini-itx htpc, thus ordered and built as well
spec:
AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W

ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75

Habey EMC-800B Black

Crucial M4 64GB ssd

2 x G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (spare lying around)

So far, picture quality is great, bluray/1080p iso/rip playback works (thanks to bluray guide/thread). Have not test hulu HD and netflix yet. But everything looking good so far.

PS: Been lurking on forum for awhile, just want to say thanks to XBMC team and especially to bluray, eskro, and poofyhairguy (for all the guides and advices) for making XBMC noob-friendly and an enjoyable experience to build and use.

Nice! That's the setting I'm looking for (with either the A4-3400 or the E-350). The Habey has a 120W PSU. Did you measure your power consumption with a kill-a-watt?
I am also interested in power consumption as I would probably go mini pico and would want to know if I should spring for 150 watt unit.
busy work week so far, will stop by lowe's tomorrow and get a kill-o-watt to check out power consumption and let u guys know.
pyrospawn Wrote:busy work week so far, will stop by lowe's tomorrow and get a kill-o-watt to check out power consumption and let u guys know.

Thanks a lot! Really nice to have such active forum members.

If your HTPC is getting too hot with the Habey, here's some mod you could try :
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vie...14&t=62680
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104468
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finally a worthy AMD mini-ITX CPU??0