script.extrafanartdownloader development
Hi,

I'm writing my first addon for XBMC, it's a script that will automatically download all available extrafanart for every TV show and movie in your library.

I've got a rough working version written and it seems to work ok for me but I would really appreciate if someone could help me test it.

This script requires a nightly build of at least Sep-21.

You can view the project on github at: https://github.com/paddycarey/script.ext...downloader

You can run the script manually by clicking on its entry in the addons menu.

If you keep an eye on your xbmc.log you should see it working. I've added some basic graphical feedback but this isn't too useful right now.

I'm sure I've done some horrible, hacky, unpython things but it's a start at least.

Thanks,
Paddy
This is a great idea, thank you for doing this.

Unfortunately - I just tested your script and for me it seems to exit instantly, doing nothing. I run it manually after the initial on boot library scan is finished.

From xbmc.log:

Code:
01:12:35 T:2855258992 M:1383628800  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
01:12:37 T:2855258992 M:1383755776  NOTICE: EFDL: Extrafanart Downloader initialising
01:12:37 T:2855258992 M:1383755776  NOTICE: EFDL: Extrafanart Downloader exiting
Thanks for trying it for me. I've added some extra log output to the script, can you try this new version?

The only time it ever does that for me is if a library update is running at the time. I've added some log messages to indicate that.
boomslang Wrote:Unfortunately - I just tested your script and for me it seems to exit instantly, doing nothing.
you'll need a recent nightly build of xbmc (sept-21 or up) for this script.

paddycarey Wrote:I'm sure I've done some horrible, hacky, unpython things but it's a start at least.

heh, don't we all start that way :-)

the only thing that caught my eye is you're adding shows to the TVlist even if the imdbnumber is epmty.

oh, and have a look at xbmcvfs. i doubt the script will run correctly if your tv shows are stored on a smb share.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:you'll need a recent nightly build of xbmc (sept-21 or up) for this script.

heh, don't we all start that way :-)

the only thing that caught my eye is you're adding shows to the TVlist even if the imdbnumber is epmty.

oh, and have a look at xbmcvfs. i doubt the script will run correctly if your tv shows are stored on a smb share.

Thanks, I'll add a note to the op. I'll have a look at xbmcvfs, would you recommend a script to look at as a good example of its use?
ronie Wrote:you'll need a recent nightly build of xbmc (sept-21 or up) for this script.

I'm still using Dharma 10.1, so this explains my problem. Another reason to upgrade I guess, unless you have plans to make it work on Dharma? :-)
boomslang Wrote:I'm still using Dharma 10.1, so this explains my problem. Another reason to upgrade I guess, unless you have plans to make it work on Dharma? :-)

I wouldn't have a clue where to start sorry. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd be more than happy to though.
Added some basic graphical feedback and a few other silly bugfixes if anyone'd like to try. Updated the DL link in OP.
Any future plans to add option for movies extrafanarts?
Nice work so far.
paddycarey Wrote:Thanks, I'll add a note to the op. I'll have a look at xbmcvfs, would you recommend a script to look at as a good example of its use?

have a look at script.artworkorganizer

in xbmc pre-eden, things like os.path.exists() don't work with smb shares,
so replace them with their xbmcvfs equivalent, which supports both local & smb filesystems.

also note, downloading an image directly to a smb share is not supported,
so you need to download it first to a local temp folder and then copy it over to the destination folder.
check the download part of the logo-downloader script if you need some example code.

as for my other remark, this:
PHP Code:
if findimdbnumber:

imdbnumber = (findimdbnumber.group(1))
else:

imdbnumber ''
TVshow = {}
TVshow["name"] = tvshowname
TVshow
["id"] = imdbnumber
TVshow
["path"] = path
self
.TVlist.append(TVshow

will add shows to the download list even if there's no imdbnumber found,
which is useless since you can't download any fanart without having a imdbnumber.

imo, this would make more sense:
PHP Code:
if findimdbnumber:

TVshow = {}

TVshow
["id"] = imdbnumber
    TVshow
["path"] = path
    self
.TVlist.append(TVshow

and +1 on butchabay's request ;-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:imo, this would make more sense:
PHP Code:
if findimdbnumber:

TVshow = {}

TVshow
["id"] = imdbnumber
    TVshow
["path"] = path
    self
.TVlist.append(TVshow

and +1 on butchabay's request ;-)

Oops, thought i had fixed this already but i must've messed up the commit. Fixed in Git now. Movie fanart is on my todo list but i want to make sure tv is working properly first.

Thanks for the pointers ronie, i'll look at xbmcvfs now Smile
Great to see this add-on Nod
Almost make external mediatools obsolete.

Doesn't work for me (yet) because I have SMB:// sources or I use nightly version of September 25.
Also couldn't install from .zip Had wrong structure error so had to put in add-ons manually.

I will check this regularly to see the progress. Anyway thanks for your work.

Maybe a futures things:
Set minimal image size
Add single shot run to the list. Not all of us want this thing running every xx hours and this way it can be used from the skin menus.
Add icon.png to add-on (looks nicer in xbmc)
Add fanart.jpg to add-on (looks nicer in xbmc)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Think i've got the smb:// issues worked out here, also made a few other small improvements.

Not sure why you can't install from .zip though, working fine for me here using the 0.0.32.zip from the link in the OP.

I'm pretty terrible when it comes to artwork, so if any kind soul would like to help me out with an icon or fanart for the addon i'd be very appreciative.

Just heading out to work here so I'll upload the (hopefully fixed) new version when I get home later tonight.
paddycarey Wrote:Think i've got the smb:// issues worked out here, also made a few other small improvements.

Not sure why you can't install from .zip though, working fine for me here using the 0.0.32.zip from the link in the OP.

I'm pretty terrible when it comes to artwork, so if any kind soul would like to help me out with an icon or fanart for the addon i'd be very appreciative.

Just heading out to work here so I'll upload the (hopefully fixed) new version when I get home later tonight.

Same here with the artwork Nerd
Think something simple for starters. Just to identify your program from the rest.

No rush at all. Take your time to make this some great add-on.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
New version uploaded, should hopefully work on smb:// now, but i don't use smb:// so haven't tested it.

Could someone let me know if it's working?

Cheers Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
script.extrafanartdownloader development3