• 9(current)
DIY Ambient Lighting
schumi2004 Wrote:@smajor
I used your calculator for configuring my leds but i had problems getting the right setup.

Since i only have a led string with 25 leds i wanted them to be placed only on the sides and top but the calculator also uses bottom.

What i did was adding as much columns and lines that would fit my situation which then resulted in a lower sensitivity area size.

Would it be possible to disable area's in the calculator? for example top bottom if you only want to place leds on left/right area?

Thank You for the good question!
After some weeks of consideration I tried to code this about 2 weeks ago, but stuck at some theoretical questions. I try to explain my thought process in a few lines:
The main idea was to be able to give five numbers to the calculators, the number of leds per sector (bottom left, right, top, right, bottom right).
But then I realized there is no point in differentiating the left and the right side (who wants to put more leds to left than right??). So that leaves us with 4 sector (bottom left, left/right, top, bottom right).
Then I realized this consideration should be applied to both bottom sectors. So now just 3 sector: bottom left/right, left/right, top
And then it is basicaly the same as the original method (cols x rows)
Ideas are wellcome!

BUT if You wish I make You an option to loose the whole bottom part.
(just a note: the workaround You tried should work! Just play with the custom area size and the way too small areas You mentioned should grow. And at reorder give the number of the leftbottom corners box. Maybe 13x7 and reorder:6 should do it for You)
see pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Adalight with Lightpack calculator (with boblight support) http://tvgloria.hu/
I dont know how common is schumi2004's need to loose bottom leds, but You can tell it to the calculator now.
Also there is a new 'comb' mode for smoother visual experience. Huh Experiment with it! Nod
smajor Wrote:I dont know how common is schumi2004's need to loose bottom leds, but You can tell it to the calculator now.
Also there is a new 'comb' mode for smoother visual experience. Huh Experiment with it! Nod

interesting! have you tried it out yet? what benefits does it provide?

My LED's just came in so I will be building it this weekend and putting your website to good use!

Thanks again!
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
lrusak Wrote:interesting! have you tried it out yet? what benefits does it provide?

My LED's just came in so I will be building it this weekend and putting your website to good use!

Thanks again!

I have tried it and it works as expected.
The benefits, wouldn't be much more if you tricked the calculator in previous version to just add as much rows and columns as needed to get the right setup.
What i did expect but didn't see is change in sensitivity area. I don't know if this is a config item or just informative?
schumi2004 Wrote:I have tried it and it works as expected.
The benefits, wouldn't be much more if you tricked the calculator in previous version to just add as much rows and columns as needed to get the right setup.
What i did expect but didn't see is change in sensitivity area. I don't know if this is a config item or just informative?

I can't say I understand what You are triing to explain. If You would explain it through an example. I'm sure I can help You!

(Why would the box size change if You thick the 'without bottom' option? The rows and cols number stays the same for a good practical reason. But You can change them easily...)
I built mine. I'll make a video of it sometime. I ended up running it off a molex connector from my HTPCs power supply. Works great!

I was having a problem where it was saying could not bind to socket. I ended up changing the interface to 0.0.0.0 from 127.0.0.1 in the boblight config and it worked.

50 LEDs on my 20" TV looks fantastic. the only issue I have is the black bars when watching DVDs, I may have to edit my boblight config to compensate for them.

Thanks guys
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
smajor Wrote:I can't say I understand what You are triing to explain. If You would explain it through an example. I'm sure I can help You!

(Why would the box size change if You thick the 'without bottom' option? The rows and cols number stays the same for a good practical reason. But You can change them easily...)

When you make a calculation , for example 9x6 or 17x11 you also see this:

For 9x6 : Sensitive area size: 213 x 180 pixel
For 17x11: Sensitive area size: 113 x 98 pixel

I don't know how the pixel size is related to calculations and if it has any effect on the working.

As you can see sensitive area size is bigger in 9x6 setup (25 leds) but if you "trick" the calculator to fit your needs (no bottom in my case) you will also get lower sensitive area size. I expected to have control on this but not sure if it has any effect at all.

Btw, thanks for the option to remove bottom Wink
Did anyone use LiveLight project to build their DIY Ambient Lighting?

I am not sure if I should try it or go with arduino way.
Hey everyone.
I'm a new XBMC user but an LED fanboy.
Still though I'm a bit overwhelmed as I've read through this thread tonite.
From what I understand I'll need the parts described here:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/adalight/ (with two strands as I have a brand new Samsung 51" plasma (pn51d6500)

Now with a fresh HTPC rig...that I'm building right now (windows 7) that will be getting a clean copy of XBMC, arduino is the best route?

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation and admittedly some hand holding.

If anyone could help me through this I'd greatly appreciate it.

If there is a better way with my current setup please let me know, I'm in the process of building my room where this will all go so I have just framed 2x4's right now in my room so I can run wires anywhere I need to Smile

Thank you for the help all.

----edit----
continuing my research I believe these are the LED strips I would like to get
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10312
Given that my screen is 47.1 x 28.3 inches that would mean I'd need 3 of these to cover the 150" (roughly) of sides.
I would just need to understand what board/controller/steps to use them in conjunction with my HTPC
thanks again!

D A N N Y
Hey folks.
Just read through the thread and i am thinking thats an awesome project to do!
After some searches on youtube, i found this website: http://www.rgb-styles.com/ibelight/ which looks like a easy solution without building it on your own...
Any comments on that? They do not have anything available yet, i am just thinking whats the best way to start. Smile

Thanks!
A side question:

How do you guys overcome the aspect ratio issue?

I believe in all of these methods, you only set one set of areas to capture from the screen to calculate the average colors. If you set the edges for these, 16:9 videos work fine, but 2.35:1 has black bars at the bottom and top. If you set it for 2.35:1 (where you use the edges for sides, but not for top and bottom), then the LED colors might not be accurate for top and bottom edges in 16:9 videos.

Is there a way to set two different parameters and switch through advancedsettings.xml by the aspect ratio??

Thanks
@smajor i found a minor bug in the calculator.

I used 13 rows en 7 lines en the boblight config fails on the last led, it gives vscan 85.94 100.26

That .26 isn't possible and will make your config fail.
aptalca Wrote:A side question:

How do you guys overcome the aspect ratio issue?

I believe in all of these methods, you only set one set of areas to capture from the screen to calculate the average colors. If you set the edges for these, 16:9 videos work fine, but 2.35:1 has black bars at the bottom and top. If you set it for 2.35:1 (where you use the edges for sides, but not for top and bottom), then the LED colors might not be accurate for top and bottom edges in 16:9 videos.

Is there a way to set two different parameters and switch through advancedsettings.xml by the aspect ratio??

Thanks

What do you mean by not accurate?
bobo1on1 Wrote:What do you mean by not accurate?

i think what he's trying to imply is that in anything other than 16:9 mode, the black bars at either the tops or sides will "dilute" the color, by having a big black section that it's looking at..
schumi2004 Wrote:@smajor i found a minor bug in the calculator.

I used 13 rows en 7 lines en the boblight config fails on the last led, it gives vscan 85.94 100.26

That .26 isn't possible and will make your config fail.

Thanks, I look into that.
Does boblight exit with an error or it just bothers Your eagle eye?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY Ambient Lighting2