[Windows] PVR with HDHomeRun
I am looking at getting a HDHomeRun dual tuner for recording broadcast HDTV shows and I was wondering what is a good PVR interface to watch live TV, pause, rewind, and record shows on Windows. I currently have my Windows Home Server v1 hooked up as an HTPC so WMC is not an option (unless someone knows how to install WMC on a Windows Server 2003 based machine). I would like to use XBMC for the front end. I was looking at MythBox but I am having trouble finding info on how to setup the MythTV backend on a Windows machine to interface with it. Everything I find says MythTV is Linux only yet the MythBox plug-in appears to install on a Windows machine.

What PVR would you recommend that is easy to setup and maintain? How can I get MythTV backend setup on a Windows machine?

Thanks in advanced.
Team MediaPortal seems to be winning the Windows PVR backend race...
Mediaportal backend with XBMC works really well, its only second to TVheadend and XBMC live in my opinion.
TVheadend wont work for me since I am running a Windows box. Mediaportal looked promising and I had it setup and tested on a Windows 7 machine just fine but when I tried installing it on my Windows Home Server v1 (Server 2003) I couldn't get past the requirement for Media Player 11 because there is no compatible Media Player 11 for Server 2003.

I was able to get ForTheRecord installed but now I can't figure out how to add my HDHomeRun as a tuner in ForTheRecord. I would still like to use XBMC as the frontend once I get something going with ForTheRecord.

Plan B is to use one of my Windows 7 machines as the MediaPortal server but I really would rather not bounce things around on my network that much and have two computers running when one is enough.
I'm pretty sure you need the HD Homerun software installed in order for things to find the tuners on the network.
I have the HDHomeRun software installed on the server and I set the program to For The Record. In 4TR I only see the Argus tuner in the management console. I am not quite clear on the instructions, do I have to manual add an Other tuner and put in the IP of the HDHomeRun? I tried replacing localhost with the HDHomeRun IP and it fails on a ping test. Is there a different path or a different port I need to use to connect to the HDHomeRun?

WMC on two Win 7 machines picked up the HDHomeRun just fine so I know it is working.
Ok, so I used the repair function in the HDHomeRun Setup program and now I see the tuners in 4TR. Must have needed to do that to initiate the 4TR functionality.

Now when I scan for channels, they all read No Signal in 4TR. The HDHomeRun software and WMC find channels just fine. I am only trying to tune broadcast ATSC channels in the US. Anyone else run into this with 4TR? Would the CAM Limit on the tuner have anything to do with it being able to tune?
No experience with 4TheRecord... I probably should look into that, but MediaPortal is working great. Didn't realize there was a Media Player 11 requirement..
Macgyver33 Wrote:Ok, so I used the repair function in the HDHomeRun Setup program and now I see the tuners in 4TR. Must have needed to do that to initiate the 4TR functionality.

Now when I scan for channels, they all read No Signal in 4TR. The HDHomeRun software and WMC find channels just fine. I am only trying to tune broadcast ATSC channels in the US. Anyone else run into this with 4TR? Would the CAM Limit on the tuner have anything to do with it being able to tune?

Can't find it right now, but there are instruction somewhere here for using HDHpomeRun on XBMC. Did you out put the channel directory from the HDHomeRun software to an external file and point the XBMC library at that file? (please excuse my non-technical explanation. I'm still waking up)
designtime Wrote:Can't find it right now, but there are instruction somewhere here for using HDHpomeRun on XBMC. Did you out put the channel directory from the HDHomeRun software to an external file and point the XBMC library at that file? (please excuse my non-technical explanation. I'm still waking up)

Quote:Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 pm Post subject:
Channel file generation capabilities are currently available only in the Windows HDHomeRun Setup software. On other platforms you can either copy files from a Windows PC or generate the files yourself. They use the following format, one file per channel:
hdhomerun://<deviceid>-<tuner>/tuner<tuner>?channel=<modulation>:<channel>&program=<program>

example:
hdhomerun://10000000-0/tuner0?channel=qam256:71&program=1
hdhomerun://10000000-1/tuner1?channel=qam256:71&program=1

Note that you can use channel frequency instead of number if you prefer.

As found here:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6147

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] PVR with HDHomeRun0