XBMC no longer sees my SMB shares
XBMC can communicate with my other PCs (I know because I'm using a shared MySQL library), but as of this evening has decided to stop seeing my SMB shares. I noticed when I tried to play a movie and it said the file wasn't available. I went into Videos>Add and looked under "Windows Network (SMB)", but it no longer lists *anything* there. I know my network's OK because all my Windows installations of XBMC are working fine. I even did a completely new install of XBMC on my ATV2 (uninstall then remove XBMC folder), and it still doesn't list any available shares. Has anyone run into this? Does anyone know how to fix it?
I am betting the shared database is corrupt, can you post a full debug log to confirm?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:I am betting the shared database is corrupt, can you post a full debug log to confirm?

I'm now using a clean installation of XBMC, with no changes at all. Completely clean and not connected to my shared library.
I go to Videos>Add>Browse>Windows (SMB) and see nothing listed.
I do the same on my other boxes and it lists my Windows workgroup.
I know the network is up on the ATV2 because I'm SSH'd into it.

So, there is no log to post. The issue is only seen by the inability to browse/find my SMB shares at all.
If in doubt, reflash. Mine did something equally stupid when I had done nothing to change it, and thing that would fix it was to reflash. Has been fine since. If you are using MYSQL then you have nothing much to lose.

Is your mysql database running on something that can be a browse master? If not, you won't be able to browse the hosts on the SMB network. If you are using a nas for serving the files try running a pc at the same time to act as a browse master.

Failing that, please provide log files. It can still provide information that you have not.
g-off Wrote:Is your mysql database running on something that can be a browse master? If not, you won't be able to browse the hosts on the SMB network. If you are using a nas for serving the files try running a pc at the same time to act as a browse master.

Local Browse Master and mysql server location have nothing to do with each other.
There will always be a local master browser on your network as any windows or samba machine will try and take the role unless there is already a machine with higher OS Level acting as the LMB.
You could be running mysql on a machine that has no smb capabilities at all and have no problems.
I never claimed they did.

He states that ATV will not browse SMB. That requires a browse master. I have come across cases where a NAS such as a QNAP was configured to not to act as a browse master. If you have an ATV and the NAS together, browsing will not work properly unless you have a windows or properly configured samba box present.

He still needs to access the share by smb even if he is using mysql for the database.
g-off Wrote:If in doubt, reflash. Mine did something equally stupid when I had done nothing to change it, and thing that would fix it was to reflash. Has been fine since. If you are using MYSQL then you have nothing much to lose.

Is your mysql database running on something that can be a browse master? If not, you won't be able to browse the hosts on the SMB network. If you are using a nas for serving the files try running a pc at the same time to act as a browse master.

Failing that, please provide log files. It can still provide information that you have not.

I restored my backed up settings so that XBMC would again be looking for the shared database, thumbnails, and SMB shares, and I put the log at http://pastebin.com/TEKXSJdn.
The only thing I can see in the log where XBMC is actively looking for something over SMB is when it's looking for the thumbnails, and all I see is "operation timed out". I've verified that the specified files do exist and that my other boxes can see them (they're shard with "Everyone").
I also SSHed into the ATV2 and tried to mount one of my SMB shares that way, but that didn't work either:
Code:
Apple-TV:/mnt/test root# mount -t smbfs //mediacenter/data /mnt/test
mount: exec /System/Library/Filesystems/smbfs.fs/Contents/Resources/mount_smbfs for /mnt/test: No such file or directory

My only concern with reflashing is that I'd have to go to iOS 4.3, and I haven't kept up to date with how well the jailbreak and XBMC work on that.
Were you running the Cydia stable version before? There are lots of errors in the log about the database being a later version. You need to have all your XBMC running on the same database version.

You might have two problems here.
1. Your database versions are incompatible
2. Your smb networking may not be working

I would suggest you work on one problem at a time.

Find out what version database your other XMBC are using and install the appropriate version on the ATV and get rid of the database errors.
Then try and get your smb working again. It may be simpler if you remove the advancedsettings.xml file and just work locally until you sort that out. You need to be able to browse the sources properly before trying to use the mysql thing again.
OK, so 1 issue at a time here (I was never asking why it wasn't reading my DB anymore, because I knew the my AppleTV build was older), so we're just dealing with the SMB issue.

I was running a clean install, not connecting to the shared DB, but it wasn't seeing my SMB shares. I have now re-flashed and jailbroken, so I'm again using a completely clean stable release, and it still does not see any SMB shares. I go to Videos>Add Videos>Browse>Windows Network (SMB), and it shows nothing at all. So, I manually added one of the shares (which I can see from all other boxes) and it says it times out.
That log is at http://pastebin.com/Ww85JJSu

Edit: I edited the smb.conf on the AppleTV to put it in the same workgroup (didn't matter before) and it made no difference.
I don't know if this is somehow related, but the AppleTV also keeps failing to set date and time, although all other network functionality (besides SMB) works.
The time not setting is not a good sign. Is the networking configured using dhcp or manually on the ATV2?

All other networking works? Have you pinging google.com from the ATV? That will check out DNS and default gateway routing. You may need to "apt-get install network-cmds" to get ping and ifconfig.
what antivirus are you using?

Might want to think about throwing everything out and starting over, delete your sources, clean your library, re add your sources be sure to set content then do a library scan.
Date and time finally set itself after waiting 10 minutes and not interrupting it. Apparently, that's a common issue according to the Apple forums.
When I SSH into the ATV it can ping out fine.
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:what antivirus are you using?

Might want to think about throwing everything out and starting over, delete your sources, clean your library, re add your sources be sure to set content then do a library scan.

No anti-virus. I already *did* start over. This is a newly flashed and jailbroken clean stable install. Nothing is in the library because it won't show any of my shares when I browse SMB to add sources. If I try to manually add the SMB shares, by host name or IP, it times out.
http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-109000.html

maybe this will help.
After a lot more testing, it's finally working now.
I started my Ubuntu VM and noticed that couldn't get to the SMB shares either. This is something I've run into before with Ubuntu, and since that's *NIX based and iOS is also *NIX based, it makes sense that the same solution worked. I changed the following Security Policies on my Win 7 box:
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
--Send LM & NTLM responses

Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
--Disable Require 128-bit encryption

After that, my ATV2 is seeing my shares again. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the ATV2 decided all of a sudden that those settings matter (it worked yesterday morning and stopped yesterday evening, and the server has always used the default security settings).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC no longer sees my SMB shares0