[ATV2] Thumbnail Synchronization across multiple XBMC Clients?
I am having trouble setting up thumbnails to be sync'd across multiple xbmc clients?

I have 2 ATV which are using a centralized MYSQL database that I have setup on my NAS. Everything works except that thumbnails only show up on 1 device which is my ATV in my living room. The other ATV and my macbooks running xbmc, none of the thumbnails show up.

Could someone please show me how I can set it up in order to have my thumbnails in sync across all my xbmc clients? This is what my advancedsettings.xml file looks like, should I have this file on all my xbmc clients?

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.21</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.21</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
<pathsubsitution>
<subsitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
<to>nfs://192.168.1.21/volume1/thumbnails/</to>
</subsitute>
</pathsubsitution>
</advancedsettings>
You're missing a / on

it should be

<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
Okay fixed it, do I all my xbmc clients (my apple tv's, macbook pro, ipad, iphone) need to have this same exact advancedsettings.xml file in order for the thumbnails to show up on all?
They should all have those settings in their advancedsettings.xml.

But they should also use the same paths to access the files these thumbnails belong to. So for the shared sources you need to specify the same path string to each folder.

So kinda like this:

//hostcomputer/share/some/folder

So if a file is local on one of the xbmc clients, you should still access it through the network share on that machine.

Remco
I'm still not understanding, so I modify my advancedsettings.xml file and copied them to all my xbmc clients. Still doesn't work. I created a shared folder on my NAS called "thumbnails" and I still see the directory empty. I am using NFS to share that folder.

If you look at my example advancedsettings.xml above, you will see I have this:

<pathsubsitution>
<subsitute>
</subsitute>
</pathsubsitution>

From the looks of that, I'm assuming it is suppose to copy whatever files are in my thumbnails folder to my NAS?
No, you're going to need to manually copy the files over. Anything new that you add to the library moving forward will have the images put into the substituted folder.
Okay so I manually copy the thumbnail files over to my NAS, and all my other XBMC clients should be able to load it off the NAS? I have my XBMC database stored on my NAS using mysql. The thumbnails/fanart aren't stored into the mysql database?

Does the <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from> stay the same for all my xbmc clients in my advancedsettings.xml file?
I'm still not showing thumbnails on my other xbmc clients. Sad Not sure what to do.

How come the thumbnails/fanart aren't stored to the mysql db as well? That way everything is centralized?

No user/pass needed?

read (and write) permissions in the server?

And check your log file, maybe you find some useful information there.
You spelled 'substitute' wrong. If you correct that then you should at least get to a point where the log will inform you if you also have permission problems.

Correct code:
Quote:<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
Nice pickup silent3xe... funny how we all see it how it's supposed to be spelt.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Thumbnail Synchronization across multiple XBMC Clients?0