Volume limiter in git...
Just tried it out today. Fantastic - been waiting for this for ages, works way better than the 'auto volume' on my tv (Sony Bravia). Thousand thanks bobo Big Grin
Ooohh,

Glad it's working well, bobo has been so helpful with answering the questions and sounds like it's working a treat.

I'm still gonna hold off til Eden, but I'm glad to hear its working well and it can resolve My loudness issues while the kids are in bed.

Awesome work bobo and the team Nod
Hirs Wrote:I've been using it for two days and its incredible, I can't use high Db because sometimes distorts high frecuencies.

Currently I have it at 4 Db and I'm getting very good results, and surround is working perfectly

Watched transformers yesterday without problems. Well done!

Are you using pulseaudio? I found out that the version that comes with ubuntu 10.04 can produce wrap-around distortion at high volume levels.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Are you using pulseaudio? I found out that the version that comes with ubuntu 10.04 can produce wrap-around distortion at high volume levels.

No pulseaudio, just alsa
bobo1on1 Wrote:It doesn't work with passthrough, if you want the limiter, disable it.

Regarding how the limiter works, it's the "Limiter with zero attack and moderate release" in this image from wikipedia:

Any config examples for this? Say i normally run my volume at -6db with HDMI output, 2.1 speaker config, boost on downmix, AC3 receiver. Specifically "Limiter with moderate attack and release" looks good. My video card is a HD 6450, running Windows 7 x64 through to a Vizio E322VL if it matters.
Living Room Media Center/Server: Win7x64, ~6TB of space, SABnzbd+, SickBeard, MySQL, 32" LCD Vizio Internet TV, XBMC Nightly as of probably a month ago.

Bed Room Media Center: Mac OS X 10.6, 24" iMac Core2Duo
Just limiterhold and limiterrelease listed at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...3Caudio.3E
is there currently a way to map this to be controlled directly with a remote?
So is there a way to get this limiting feature to work when playing music through PAPlayer? I'd like to utilize the MP3 gain feature, but most of my music is Apple Lossless which uses the ITunNorm tags which XBMC in general does not recognize and in fact can choke on. So the limiting feature might give me a "poor mans" method of dynamic volume normalizing of my music collection.
Not at the moment.
I use this feature, and its good, except I get some pretty loud HISS during quiet scenes. I fully understand why this is happening, and I know it's just a function of how it works.

I have used some audio gear that has 'zero bit mute', which basically means when there is no audio, it outputs nothing. The software should be able to detect the difference between quiet sounds and no sounds at all, and when there is no sound, simply stop outputting.

On higher end car audio gear you often get hiss between songs if you are listening loudly, the zero bit feature eliminates this hiss.

Any chance of incorporating something like that?
vinistois Wrote:I use this feature, and its good, except I get some pretty loud HISS during quiet scenes. I fully understand why this is happening, and I know it's just a function of how it works.

I have used some audio gear that has 'zero bit mute', which basically means when there is no audio, it outputs nothing. The software should be able to detect the difference between quiet sounds and no sounds at all, and when there is no sound, simply stop outputting.

On higher end car audio gear you often get hiss between songs if you are listening loudly, the zero bit feature eliminates this hiss.

Any chance of incorporating something like that?

That's called a gate. Audio under a certain threshold mutes signal. Would be cool to have as well.
(2011-11-24, 01:24)StLouisRod Wrote: So is there a way to get this limiting feature to work when playing music through PAPlayer? I'd like to utilize the MP3 gain feature, but most of my music is Apple Lossless which uses the ITunNorm tags which XBMC in general does not recognize and in fact can choke on. So the limiting feature might give me a "poor mans" method of dynamic volume normalizing of my music collection.

(2011-11-24, 02:41)bobo1on1 Wrote: Not at the moment.

How about now? Can some dev shed some light on this issue we're talking about here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126165
Major overhaul of the audio portion of XBMC is being done, so most of the devs are probably going to wait on any new major audio features until that is done. The new Audio Engine (wiki) will also fix a number of known issues as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume limiter in git...0