TVHeadend vs. Mythtv as back-end?
How do you compare third free backend: VDR? I think its somewhere between the two. Simpler them myth but more powerful then tvh.
Hey Adam, on which NAS are you running TVH on? I've been struggling with the setup myself. I wanted like you to have the TV Server (backend and tuner) all on the NAS for the exact same reason (always on, shared space, reliable etc) but I can't seem to install the TVTuner (hdhomerun3) on it. I think TVH is properly installed on my Synology DS1512+ but HDHR3 is a pain and I'm not sure if its this or TVH the problem but I can't Map dvb services to channels. :'(
I started looking at TVheadend (long time mythtv user) and have ruled it out completely b/c it doesn't do series and timeshifting. Those 2 items are used almost everytime I use my system. Not having them makes the whole thing somewhat pointless to me.... just thought I would give some more feedback Smile. Mythtv isn't hard to setup and it has pretty good documentation so I don't know why people seem to be scared of it.
Yes MythTV is better in many ways, but it is mostly because it has been around for a longer time. I really think that TVH has the possibilities to get much better than MythTV. Setup is already much better with TVH. And i like how Adam is thinking when he is trying to implement timeshifting, will probably be much better than MythTV. Haven't tried TVH that much because the lack of timeshifting, but i think there is already some kind of series support, even not as powerful as MythTV. But give TVH time and it will be better than MythTV.

But when MythTV is setup, which isn't that hard if you can choose Mythbuntu or similar, it is really easy to schedule recordings for series and then forget about it. MythTV handles everything, and at least for me it has never missed a scheduled recording. And solves conflicts very good.

I hope i can switch to TVH some day, not only because it that day is better than MythTV, but because what i've seen so far the TVH team has a better approach to end users. They want to make a good backend that can be used by everyone. After several years with MythTV you often feel that it is a backend made by developers for developers.
Adam--great to see your involvement in the community.

A couple questions (forgive me if they're n00b):

1. Do you need help with a community manager? I'm not a great developer, but I've been a program manager and "spec engineer" for years and a I need a new project Smile
  2. (EDIT: Found your roadmap)
  3. Any thoughts on the Ceton tuners?
  4. Is TVH linux-only, or could I compile/run it on a lightweight BSD install?
Any help is always appreciated. Useful place to start even if you're not a coder is the forums and issue tracker. We struggle to keep up to date because of limited people.

No idea what a ceton tuner is.

There is a user fork I came across that has made some modifications to get tvh running on bsd. Id like to see some of that work reintegrated, but I think it needs some work before doing so.

Adam
Are you meaning Crestron? control interfaces?
No he means ceton.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Been a long time since the last post. Can anyone provide a refresher course for the 2015 era? I am currently up and running on Kodibuntu, but am waiting for drivers for my Hauppauge HVR-2255 tuner card. Once those are available I want to get PVR going ASAP, and would like to know in advance which path to take.
-- Steve

"I just wanted a media center, not a hobby!"

HW: CPU - Intel Core i3-4130T, RAM - 4GB, Storage: 640GB, TV Tuner - HDHomeRun Connect x3
SW: OS - LibreELEC, Media Center - Kodi 18.5, Skin - Amber, PVR - TVHeadend
mythtv continues to be the most flexible and powerful.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
To a certain extent, 'it depends', plus this is one of those questions that inevitably solicits a level of bias given most folks don't actively use more than one PVR application - they try a few, make a choice and then become familiar with one major one.

AFAIK, MythTV is probably still the 'better' one in the sense it's most mature. However, tvh had had a lot of development in the last 12 months, so works very well for many people on a daily basis. Myth is arguably harder to set up but has better (i.e. fully functional) timeshifting; tvheadend is quick to play with, supports series linking (subject to EPG data), timeshift works after a fashion, but I think it has superior IPTV/pipe input (e.g. from cameras) plus SAT>IP support as both client and server. I get the impression that tvh is lighter-weight as well, although that's not really an issue on all but the meanest of hardware... however, the downside of tvheadend is that flurry of (ongoing) development, so it can break if you're installing every new build. I'm sure there are other plus points of both platforms that I'm not aware of, though, especially Myth given the 3+ years since I looked at it (e.g. better rule-based recording).

I'd suggest trying them both (I certainly did), see which one suits you and your use case, and go from there.
It seems that timeshift being the only significant and persistent problem of tvheadend...
What's the problem exactly, can somebody please elaborate with a few words... ?
oh, sorry. I assume the current issues are discussed in this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220325
Seems that tvheadend is still not "wife-friendly"...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVHeadend vs. Mythtv as back-end?0