adding files within network
Hey guys,

Pretty new to xbmc and loving it so far. I have a HTPC in basement with all my drives on it. xbmc is running great down there so I wanted to set it up on my upstairs HTPC. Was just going to do a new install as I'm not sure how to copy db or anything like that...

Tried just adding my folders and xbmc cant see my HTPC downstairs. Its all networked correctly, static IP's for everything, can access all files through any of my machines. What am I doing wrong? should it not just show up when I go to add? all I see is local drives...

While I have ur attention, I need help with something else too. I have kids and all their shows/movies are in separate folders for them. How do I make a section/tab in xbmc that will take them right to their shows when selected? I suppose I'd make a new section and add their folder, but again, I cant seem to locate any storage other than local through xbmc...

using win7 and xbmc 10.1 with aeon MQ 2

Thank u soo much for any help. I just wanna sit back and enjoy this lol
Select Add Source and click the Browse button. From the list choose Add Network Location (you need to scroll the list to see this). Now feed in the basement PC name and the name of the network share, and a username and password if needed. Click OK and you'll be back at the Browse dialog and you'll now see an entry in the list something like smb://server/share/. Select this, then click OK to get back to the Add Source dialog. Fill in the source name and click OK.

An alternative is to map a drive letter to the basement PC's share, but the above is more reliable if a bit longer to set up the first time.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:An alternative is to map a drive letter to the basement PC's share, but the above is more reliable if a bit longer to set up the first time.
JR

I map my network drives. Makes it so much easier.
Spyhop Wrote:I map my network drives. Makes it so much easier.

True however if you auto start XBMC with windows and windows is not yet ready with mapping the drives you could experience problems. With smb:// you don't have this. There are some other advantages to but these are for more experienced ones.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Awesome, thanks guys. Got it working and not sure how I missed it lol.

This thing is fantastic, not sure what I was waiting for...thanks again!
Spyhop Wrote:I map my network drives. Makes it so much easier.

There are no rules for using XBMC; everyone should set it up as they find suits them. Having said that, after several years of answering questions about network problems I recommend not using network drive letters.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
adding files within network0