*READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* How to Install, Jailbreak and other FAQs

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.33 Average
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Exclamation  *READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* How to Install, Jailbreak and other FAQs
NOTE: This thread is *NOT* for troubleshooting. The aim of this thread is to be informative. The thread will be left open for constructive suggestions for the FAQs/wiki/etc.

Read the forum rules: here

HOW-TO INSTALL OR UPDATE:

HOW-TO:Install or update XBMC on Apple TV 2 (black)

HOW-TO:Install or update XBMC on iPad/iPhone/iPod touch

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

XBMC all platforms FAQ
FAQs that apply to all versions of XBMC.

XBMC for ATV2/iOS specific FAQ
This includes info on the abilities of the ATV2, how-to do common tasks, common problems, and more.

BEFORE POSTING, PLEASE LOOK OVER THESE FAQs FIRST.

JailBreak FAQ <-- Have not jailbroken yet? Need to rejailbreak? See the second post in the Jailbreak FAQ for how to still jailbreak without updating to ATV OS 5.0.
This is not a jailbreak forum, and discussion on this topic here is not permitted. All jailbreak posts on this forum will be moved/deleted, and repeat offenders will be warned then banned if it continues. However, jailbreaking is an essential step that must be performed before you install XBMC. If you need help beyond the JailBreak FAQ link above, please go to http://forum.firecore.com/ , http://forum.tomcool.org/ , or http://modmyi.com/forums/ . They are better equipped to help you there.

HOW-TO GET HELP:

HOW-TO post about a XBMC for iOS problem (AKA YOU MUST POST XBMC.LOG SO WE CAN HELP)
Again, be sure to read over the FAQ before posting to make sure your question/issue isn't answered there.

NIGHTLY & MONTHLY BUILDS:

These are unstable pre-release builds and are not for the faint of heart. Expect there to be bugs! If you have issues and want to post about them/get help then you MUST include debug logs, etc.

Nightly builds:
iDevices
ATV2

Monthly snapshots:
Monthly snapshot builds are also available that are more stable than Nightly builds, but may still contain bugs and evolving features:
iDevices
ATV2

As always, be sure to backup your userdata folder regularly when playing with nightlies or monthlies.

You can go back to stable XBMC v12 by installing over the nightly build, just as you would for an update or normal XBMC install.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a general XBMC question that isn't specific to ATV2/iOS then you might want to post it in XBMC General Help and Support. See also Skin Specific Help and Support and Add-ons Help and Support. If you are not sure where to post then feel free to post the question here and someone can move your thread later if needed.

Be kind, be patient, and enjoy XBMC and our support community!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous FAQ threads:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108720
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91581
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93033
(This post was last modified: 2013-07-11 20:54 by Ned Scott.)
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
The following is discussion about how to improve the FAQ/Wiki pages:

Alright, I've moved the wiki FAQ to use a new template to help make editing it easier. I'm still confident that the alternating colors can be eventually automated, but I have to read more about how to use those features (the ones that make it possible are not normally installed on sites like Wikipedia).

The current downsides to the new FAQ template include:

•No more edit links for the individual questions. This is because each question entry includes information both above and below the section header. Since all the questions are broken up into groups I don't think this will be a big problem. As in, you can go and edit the ATV2 specific section and you'll just see all those questions at once. That might actually make it easier, since then people can easily re-arrange questions as well (something they might miss if they only enter per-question sections).

•Still need to manually alternate colors to break up the text. Like I said before, I think this can be automated. I'm also open to different layout suggestions that would make it so we didn't even need the colors to help break up the large chunks of text.

•Anchor links aren't labeled when in editing mode, but this is mostly because I came across a technical limitation and just haven't gotten around to something better. Even as they are they're not too hard to understand

Pros include:

•everything, background color, anchors, and the Q/As are grouped together. This makes re-ording things easier, as well as seeing what goes with what.

•In a template format we only have to edit one entry to completely change the appearance of the page

•the stable anchor links are now visible and can be easily copied for people who want to link to them on the forums. They're labeled "shortcuts" across from the question header.

•Should be mostly newbie friendly even without looking at the template documentation.

Feedback? Suggestions? Cat pictures?
(This post was last modified: 2012-05-25 03:43 by Ned Scott.)
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
I've also gone though all the question headers and changed most of them from a question format to more plain statements. The reason behind this is that it was really hard to find what you were looking for by just looking at the Table of Contents. You basically had to read each sentence to find the issue you wanted. Even though this is an "FAQ", using plain statements means less words to shift through, making keywords more likely to pop out (or even be the first word).

Some are still questions because they're still better that way, or I haven't figured out an alternative for them.

Feedback on this? Good? Bad? Should we go back to the question format? Is this a good idea, but you think some headers need additional tweaking? Etc.
find quote
jd2157 Offline
Fan
I like the cleaned up FAQ statements... makes it a quicker read at-a-glance, also like the shortcuts to the anchors since they make linking easier... overall the cons aren't too significant.
find quote
g-off Offline
Fan
All that is needed it to make it come up like a EULA before they make their first post Big Grin
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Beta 1 is here for Eden! Install instructions on the wiki have been updated. These have been pushed to the Cydia repo, so new installs will have the latest beta.
find quote
teunvr Offline
I think the wiki for ATV2 is missing an apt-get upgrade at the end Confused
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
teunvr Wrote:I think the wiki for ATV2 is missing an apt-get upgrade at the end Confused

oops, fixed
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Calling all YouTube tutorials! The XBMC Wiki now supports embedded youtube videos, so if anyone has any youtube links to good help videos (iOS/ATV2 or other XBMC-related) feel free to post them at: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=122090
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
We now have a general "hardware" page for the Apple TV 2 (and 3, eventually) on the XBMC Wiki: Apple TV (iOS)

We can use this for additional details that don't fit in the FAQ, as well as organizing links to other iOS (and general XBMC) topics on the wiki. Some stuff in the FAQ that's not really "frequent" could probably be moved over as it is. It's mostly a shell right now, so it could even use a nice introduction. Just remember, it's not so much an ATV2 page as much as it is an "ATV2 in the context of XBMC" page. Think of it as the wiki "launch pad" page for the ATV2 (hand in hand with the FAQ). If you have ATV2 specific how-to's you want to link to (via the wiki, thread, or other site) that would be the place to put those links, as well as more advanced tips, etc.

Feel free to dump stuff anywhere for now, as we're kind of winging it for page layout as we go.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Nightlies are starting up soon (in a day or two, I believe). In anticipation of this I've re-added the nightly build section to HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2. I've also added a few other sections that I've been meaning to add, but have not filled out yet (installing from NitoTV and uninstalling). Feel free to modify, add, etc.

EDIT: HOW-TO:Install XBMC on iPad/iPhone/iPod touch has been updated as well.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
(This post was last modified: 2012-05-05 19:33 by Ned Scott.)
find quote
deanmv Offline
Posting Freak
Just filled in Installing from NitoTV and Uninstalling for you. It's simple but gets the job done I think, HOW-TO: Install XBMC on Apple TV 2.

Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
(This post was last modified: 2012-05-09 00:16 by deanmv.)
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
(2012-05-09 00:16)deanmv Wrote:  Just filled in Installing from NitoTV and Uninstalling for you. It's simple but gets the job done I think, HOW-TO: Install XBMC on Apple TV 2.

very nice!

find quote
deanmv Offline
Posting Freak
Question, is the http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...le_updates bit still appropriate? Didn't want to just delete but doesn't the seatbelt dependancy take care of this now?

Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Oh yeah, very safe at this point to plunk out.

Maybe still mention the updating the Apple software will unjailbreak/uninstall XBMC so people don't think it's safe to do manually, but at the very least we don't need all the instructions.

(This post was last modified: 2012-06-05 02:13 by Ned Scott.)
find quote