Instructions updated for v11.0-4

I'm assuming ATV2 software 5.x still needs the extra lines:

Code:
mkdir -p /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances

and
Code:
mkdir -p /Applications/XBMC.frappliance

?

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Add-on:YouTube]] = Add-on:YouTube, [[Adding videos to the library]] = Adding videos to the library, [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
akevit Offline
Donor
I don't know where else to post this question, so I'm just going to do so here since it seems relevant although not purely related to XBMC.

Both of my ATV2s went into a reboot loop yesterday, and the only way to stop them from rebooting was to disconnect them from the internet. I was unable to SSH into either device to try to obtain any sort of debugging information or to try any posted solutions (the solutions suggested that the problem was either related to an iOS worm affecting those who hadn't changed their default SSH passwords or an issue with Beigelist applications link). I had definitely changed booth the root and mobile passwords on both devices so I didn't think that would be the issue, and I had no way of re-installing the Beigelist applications since I had no SSH access -- fortunately I was able to jailbreak without an issue and everything is back up and running now.

Anyways, my question isn't really a question but something important I haven't seen documented: My old password still works to SSH into my device in addition to my new password. In actuality, it's not that my old password still works, it's that I only added some characters to my old password rather than change it completely. So what I've found is that the ATV2 password can only have a max length of 8 characters, anything after this doesn't matter. For an easy example, set your root password to pizzapizza, then try and ssh in with pizzapiz and it will work (pizzapi will not however). So, in summary, it is important to not only change your default SSH passwords, but to also change them to a complex combination of eight characters.

I don't know enough about cracking SSH passwords but from my experience the ATV2 doesn't lockout after x number of SSH tries. So I would imagine that bruteforcing a non-complex 8 character password is not only very possible, but comparably trivial.

ATV2 running XBMC Eden (Skin: Quartz3)
Windows 7 running XBMC Eden (custom setup as I'm basically running it as a service)
MySQL installed on Windows 7 for sharing libraries
iOS Specific FAQ | Alternative ATV2 keymap | Default ATV2 keymap
Post log files to Pastebin

[Image: 1721571156.png]
(This post was last modified: 2012-08-03 23:14 by akevit.)
find quote
Memphiz Offline
Team-XBMC Developer
Nice finding - thx.

AppleTV2/iPhone/iPod: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for XBMC: Wiki NFS
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Wiki Avahi
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
Very strange. Memphiz also found out that this effects iDevices such as iPads. I've been meaning to put a mention on the wiki about it being a good idea to change the default password, and this will be good info to include with that.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Add-on:YouTube]] = Add-on:YouTube, [[Adding videos to the library]] = Adding videos to the library, [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
Started adding some nightly/pre-Frodo info to the FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ldid=48878

Feel free to mention if I missed anything, or if you want to add it yourself. Just be sure to use either {{Frodo note|TEXT HERE}} or {{Frodo box|TEXT HERE}} to mark it as a nightly feature.

find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
I knew I forgot something.. added note for volume controls now being supported: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ldid=48878

find quote