Issue with stuttering video
Had some problems a short while back with smoothness of playback which I resolved with some editing of the xorg file.

I'm now having an issue with certain MKVs that I've made myself from Blurays, taking the movie only and converting audio to Flac, all using another EAC3to Gui. I've been troubleshooting for a few hours and found the difference between those that play fine and those that don't are the exclusion in media info of the following 3 lines:

Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

The ones that don't work are missing the above lines.

So what's the issue with XBMC playing these? The files themselves are fine on everything else.

Thanks in advance.

System is an Asrock 330HT - Nvidia ION system
Ok this is crazy. Just done a file which has same properties and that's not stuttering. What is the difference I'm missing here:

Not working:

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1h 46mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive

Working:

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=26
Muxing mode : Container [email protected]
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2h 34mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 34.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Please post a debug log (remember to turn on debug logging in XBMC).
http://pastebin.com/rfppSi30
Full debug log please, you cut out very important parts.
Since you mentioned xorg, that tells me you are a Linux user.

I am very interested to see if you find a solution to this as Ive been struggling with this for over a year.

I have exhausted all video related threads on here, and I have my machine playing video at 24 FPS instead of 60, so I dont have any screen tearing or juttering. I am running a Nividia card with VDPAU enabled. The picture is perfectly smooth except when its not, and its very annoying to me. It happens about once every 30-60 seconds, I get dropped video frames, but perfect audio. Whenever I get a dropped frame, I can immediatley skip backwards 15 seconds and playback the exact same segment of video and it wont skip again.

There are others who have reported this as well, and no one seems to have a definitive solution.
Turn on sync playback to display, set the sync method to resample, see if that makes the stutter go away, if it does then there's a small difference between the refreshrate and the video fps.
Updated log thank you:

http://pastebin.com/ccJhaPiy
I think that might be the hdmi audio device not being able to handle 7 channel audio.
No problem with other 7/8 channel audio files. Also some of the files that stutter now didn't stutter before.
Right after more fiddling with files I've narrowed it down to the culprit being those files I've converted from DTS-HD-MA with 6.1 or 7.1 audio. True HD converted files in 6.1 or 7.1 are fine.

If I change the option for Audio output to custom it plays the video fine but no audio at all.

Is this something I've got set up wrong or is it a problem with XBMC or my hardware?
Try with adjust refreshrate to match video turned off, something breaks the audio output, and since it's hdmi I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Try with adjust refreshrate to match video turned off, something breaks the audio output, and since it's hdmi I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

That didn't make a difference. I've tried all sorts of combinations in the video section.

It's odd that it's DTS HD-MA 6.1/7.1 converted files and not TrueHD 7.1 ones.
Could you post a sample?
Sample - https://rapidshare.com/files/1733304348/...1_-019.mkv

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with stuttering video0