Wireless Networking
I'm running two >6 year old wireless g routers in my house so that I can get consistent wireless access on two floors and outside on my deck. They are configured with the same SSID and encryption type so the devices manage which connection to pick up, this part works flawlessly. They are also configured on two separate channels and I used wifi analyzer on my android device to find the best channels. I am finding two problems:

1. My speedtest results are 30mbps down/25mbps up while wired, but only 10 down and 10 up on wireless (while in the same room as one of the access points). I think I can do better than this.
2. My upstairs router has to go through two walls to reach my deck and at best I get a 30% signal outside.

All my gaming, XBMCs, etc. are done on the wired network, so my main uses for the wireless network are managing my XBMC boxes via android phone and browsing youtube from my laptop, in my underwear, from anywhere in the house or on my deck.

Would upgrading to one router of newer tech be better than my two router setup? One of my routers is able to accept another antenna, should I just upgrade that? Both? Any brand recommendations are also appreciated.
I'm no expert, but just to give you an idea of what to expect with wireless N.

My router is the billion 7800N. It is around 8-10 metres from my HTPC, and going through 2 walls, and 2 wooden sides of a tv cabinet.

All set to 100% power, Wireless N etc.... And I get max 10MB/s.. usually a constant of between 6 and 8MB/s. This equates to 50mbps - 67mbps.

So while I don't think that upgrading to wireless N will increase your rates dramatically, you will more than likely definitely see an increase.

More antennas seem to work well. The 7800N has 3, and my wireless card in the HTPC as 2. I get stronger connections than my old setup (in built wireless).

Your wired network seems a bit slow, though? 100mbps connections? Or 1gbps.
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
DJVege Wrote:I'm no expert, but just to give you an idea of what to expect with wireless N.

My router is the billion 7800N. It is around 8-10 metres from my HTPC, and going through 2 walls, and 2 wooden sides of a tv cabinet.

All set to 100% power, Wireless N etc.... And I get max 10MB/s.. usually a constant of between 6 and 8MB/s. This equates to 50mbps - 67mbps.

So while I don't think that upgrading to wireless N will increase your rates dramatically, you will more than likely definitely see an increase.

More antennas seem to work well. The 7800N has 3, and my wireless card in the HTPC as 2. I get stronger connections than my old setup (in built wireless).

Your wired network seems a bit slow, though? 100mbps connections? Or 1gbps.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was using my 30/25 download/upload internet connection speed as a comparison. I'm running a normal 100mbps wired network, so all my HTPC stuff runs smooth.

What I'm looking for is a more reliable wireless connection throughout my house. I would have thought 2 wireless g routers configured properly would have given me at least 25mps xfer speeds, but no such luck.

Do you happen to know if the N technology gives up range for speed?
No. Wireless N has a natural coverage advantage, and higher bandwidth according to what i've read.
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
Just an FYI for comparison. Im running a WRT54GL G wireless from downstairs to my HTPC wireless and my media server is downstairs. I can play 1080p with no problems. I hadn't planed it this way but it work out

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wireless Networking0