• 26(current)
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?
A75M but I think out should be the case for every A75 Asrock board.
Supposedly the -itx version does it. My -hvs does not and I have emailed as rock as of 1 week go and they have not responded.
TeKo Wrote:A75M but I think out should be the case for every A75 Asrock board.

I can't get the A75 to even power completely off, let alone back up again! I thought I had, but it seems to only be sleeping (s3 I think) rather than s5 :/
Hmm mine is shutting down correctly but it didnt worked with the standard remote command I just used EventGhost to bind Shutdown to the power button.

You have the same? Asrock A75M the microATX one?

I updated BIOS and then turned Power on by USB Remote/Mouse on.
And I use the remote with USB2 ports but I dont know if that matters.

Try to plug it in Boot with the Power button on the case let Windows boot, shut down and then try to boot with your remote should work with any button not only power on.
TPU?

Thermoplastic polyurethanes (abbreviated TPU)??
TeKo Wrote:Hmm mine is shutting down correctly but it didnt worked with the standard remote command I just used EventGhost to bind Shutdown to the power button.

You have the same? Asrock A75M the microATX one?

I updated BIOS and then turned Power on by USB Remote/Mouse on.
And I use the remote with USB2 ports but I dont know if that matters.

Try to plug it in Boot with the Power button on the case let Windows boot, shut down and then try to boot with your remote should work with any button not only power on.

If I do a complete shutdown I can't boot with the remote, nothing registers on the IR receiver at all. I'mnot too fussed really, the S3 sleep allows for very quick waking, and I imagine it uses very little power. Does anyone have any numbers for the amount of power it uses? Are we talking relative to a TV in standby, or much more?

EDIT: Have just replaced the CPU cooler, and now when I 'shutdown' (S3) the fan keeps spinning. With the stock cooler the fan stopped. It may now be using more power, making a complete shutdown the better option :/
I have an ASRock A75M-HVS, and an MCE remote. Usb receiver connected to one of the motherboard USB2 ports (black ones instead of blue ones, those are usb3), latest bios, and it powers on from complete shutdown.
When I power off with the remote, It doesn't completely shut down, it goes to a sleep mode, or hibernation mode I guess.

Is using evenghost the only way to do a complete shutdown with the remote?
I also would like to know the power usage of the HTPC in standby (or hibernation) mode.
Well in XBMC you can set the shutdown to power off the computer. Mine powers off completely but does not wake back up with the HP USB IR, I see the hp receiving the commands, and I program the harmony to send a keyboard stroke, but nothing wakes it up. But if I attach a wireless keyboard and press any button, it turns on the computer.
r1lee Wrote:Well in XBMC you can set the shutdown to power off the computer. Mine powers off completely but does not wake back up with the HP USB IR, I see the hp receiving the commands, and I program the harmony to send a keyboard stroke, but nothing wakes it up. But if I attach a wireless keyboard and press any button, it turns on the computer.

Is there a way to map a single key in XBMC so that it initiates shutdown? Right now I have a macro that presses the 's' (shutdown menu) key, then arrows down and enters on the shutdown choice.

It would be much better if I could simply send a single keystroke to initiate shutdown.
not that I know to what to do. But when shut down, I hit the shutdown shortcut programmed into the harmony the hit ok. Then I shut off the rest of the system with the off button on the harmony.

but I believe its possible to set the harmony to do that sequence. The reason I say this is because it knows how to do that sequence in shutting down the ps3, my projector etc.
voip-ninja, so u want to send your HTPC into a complete OFF state
using a desired button on your Harmony Remote?
r1lee Wrote:not that I know to what to do. But when shut down, I hit the shutdown shortcut programmed into the harmony the hit ok. Then I shut off the rest of the system with the off button on the harmony.

but I believe its possible to set the harmony to do that sequence. The reason I say this is because it knows how to do that sequence in shutting down the ps3, my projector etc.

When power off command is sent via Harmony, all it does is put the computer in standby. I have found no way in Windows to modify this behavior so that when it receives this IR signal it actually shuts down.
eskro Wrote:voip-ninja, so u want to send your HTPC into a complete OFF state
using a desired button on your Harmony Remote?

Hi Eskro. Yes, I have had a long adventure with this. When Harmony sends the IR receiver (I use the Inteset CIR but have experienced the same thing with every MCE USB I have tried) a 'power off' signal, all that really happens is the computer goes to sleep.

I prefer for the computer to shut down completely. One reason is that on occasion I have computers wake up randomly (to do updates or other nonsense probably) and because they are in a somewhat poorly ventilated TV console they can get very very hot if they are left "on" by accident for many hours or days.

I initially investigated how to modify Windows so that when it sees the "standby" signal it actually shuts down, but the Windows Media Center automation website that supposedly had this information has been offline for about a year.

Next I created a shortcut on the Windows desktop that could be tied to a key on the keyboard and shut windows down, however this requires completely exiting XBMC and waiting several seconds before sending this key-press that initiates a shutdown and it was not very reliable.

So, my most recent method is to program XBMC with a macro to do the shutdown menu and then choose shutdown, and of course I have instructed XBMC in settings to actually shut the PC down instead of just exiting XBMC.

So, if there is a way to tell XBMC that when a certain key is pressed to simply shut down that would probably be a good alternative as I have found no way to get windows to do it from IR remote.
So you cant shutdown your PC using the XBMC Menu?
voip-ninja Wrote:Next I created a shortcut on the Windows desktop that could be tied to a key on the keyboard and shut windows down, however this requires completely exiting XBMC and waiting several seconds before sending this key-press that initiates a shutdown and it was not very reliable.

not sure why u need to exit xbmc to have it work like u say.
its instant for me even from within xbmc!

*create a shutdown shortcut on your desktop.
*Important, if you want to move your shortcut elsewhere, do it now!
*then, add a shortcut key to it
*add that keyboard combination to a desired button on your harmony

works mint for me!
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?3