• 5(current)
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Think you need to do some more reading mate :p

I am confused, are you saying that wake-on-usb should be able to wake computer up from a total power off state?

Can you elaborate? I would be interested to know
im waiting for elaboration too...
eskro Wrote:that is great newz cyberdiamond!!

do you happen to have an harmony remote at hand?

trying to see if the ASROCK USB IR Receiver would work with it

No I don't have a harmony remote.
So, today, just six business days after mailing my check to ASRock, a surprise showed up in the mailbox;

Setting it up was not very difficult at all. I plugged it in and knew my USB port was wired to the CIR header properly because immediately the box powered off !! Nod

After rebooting Windows, I went to ASRock's website and grabbed the CIR driver package for my version of Windows;

And then load the package, which detects the CIR so you know it's being installed properly!

After that I went into the Logitech Harmony application and set up a new activity with the remote built as a Windows Media Center generic.

It works!

And yes, it will power the box UP from a total power down state, which is very awesome! Rofl

I have found a few minor things I need to sort out;

1. The "i" button on the remote does nothing, so it does not bring up the information window while a video is playing, I would like to fix that.

2. The "activity" buttons for "movies" "videos" "music" all launch Windows Media Center Stare I need to figure out how to remap them to actually instead launch XBMC and/or navigate to the XBMC sections I want.

Still, for $8 this is pretty hard to beat. Full Media Center IR integration and power up/down!
voip-ninja Wrote:So, today, just six business days after mailing my check to ASRock, a surprise showed up in the mailbox;

Setting it up was not very difficult at all. I plugged it in and knew my USB port was wired to the CIR header properly because immediately the box powered off !! Nod

After rebooting Windows, I went to ASRock's website and grabbed the CIR driver package for my version of Windows;

And then load the package, which detects the CIR so you know it's being installed properly!

After that I went into the Logitech Harmony application and set up a new activity with the remote built as a Windows Media Center generic.

It works!

And yes, it will power the box UP from a total power down state, which is very awesome! Rofl

I have found a few minor things I need to sort out;

1. The "i" button on the remote does nothing, so it does not bring up the information window while a video is playing, I would like to fix that.

2. The "activity" buttons for "movies" "videos" "music" all launch Windows Media Center Stare I need to figure out how to remap them to actually instead launch XBMC and/or navigate to the XBMC sections I want.

Still, for $8 this is pretty hard to beat. Full Media Center IR integration and power up/down!

sweet. hopefully mine will show up tommorow. still sucks you have to lose a port on the front. I may mod my case and mount in internally.
voip-ninja, try this out!!

from HArmony Software, add a MICROSOFT MCE KEYBOARD device!!

then, you can map any keyboard letter to a button of your choice on your remote!!

example, INFO = i, Stop = x, FastForward = f

then, see if it works well with ASROCK IR RECEIVER!!

and tell us here Smile

cuz i wonder if you would experience the issue i had here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112048

thanks
eskro Wrote:voip-ninja, try this out!!

from HArmony Software, add a MICROSOFT MCE KEYBOARD device!!

then, you can map any keyboard letter to a button of your choice on your remote!!

example, INFO = i, Stop = x, FastForward = f

then, see if it works well with ASROCK IR RECEIVER!!

and tell us here Smile

cuz i wonder if you would experience the issue i had here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112048

thanks

Hmm, weird. Okay I will try that, never heard of it being done that way, I was figuring I would need to use EventGhost to set it up properly. I also notice that whatever my Harmony does with it for power toggle doesn't work quite right. The PC goes to sleep but won't wake back up using the activity I created.
we'll trouble shoot that in a sec Tongue

just tell me if your able to create a MCE KEYBOARD device Smile
Actually if I build it as a keyboard I will lose the power on/off capabilities.
voip-ninja Wrote:Hmm, weird. Okay I will try that, never heard of it being done that way, I was figuring I would need to use EventGhost to set it up properly. I also notice that whatever my Harmony does with it for power toggle doesn't work quite right. The PC goes to sleep but won't wake back up using the activity I created.

sure... read the XBMC remote thread. MCE keyboard is a very useful approach.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62966

Another link with too much info:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38585

I've never used event ghost and have full control of XBMC

will play with power once I get one.

so it sounds like you dont have the proper IR code to wake from cold start?

when mine comes I'll let you know what I figure out because I've had IR working on XBMC windows with my harmonies for a long time. I'll be excited if I can full power on the sandy bridge rig.
Full power on works using the power button for MCE remote on the Harmony, the activity just does not seem to be working. When I get some time I will rebuild as a keyboard. Also, I was playing a movie after the install of the CIR and was getting buffering. Not sir what that is all about.
voip-ninja Wrote:Full power on works using the power button for MCE remote on the Harmony, the activity just does not seem to be working. When I get some time I will rebuild as a keyboard. Also, I was playing a movie after the install of the CIR and was getting buffering. Not sir what that is all about.

hold on then. let me explain.

in the harmony software in general activities often incorrecty use the Power Toggle when discrete codes are available in the harmony software.

simply go into the device settings and change the power options to use the correct commands. you can specifically assign a command or a sequence of commands to power on and power off.

Its quite simple and something I've had to do many times in the harmony software for various devices. Always check each device because most often there are discrete power codes and often harmony wont use them unless you go tweak the settings are I described.

Sean
voip-ninja Wrote:Actually if I build it as a keyboard I will lose the power on/off capabilities.

beside's my repeating issue,
PowerON/OFF worked for me under MCE KEYBOARD...
i just had to tweak the Power Delay Setting,,,,
i used the value 350mm

Also i tweaked this here

and finally,
if the Shutdown option isnt available on your LCD screen
when choosing KEYBOARD

Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?3