• 28(current)
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?
eskro Wrote:i agree, my EventGHOST alternative is

Smile

Eskro, you are the man. This appears to be the missing piece of the puzzle and does EXACTLY what I need. It runs in the system tray at startup (one important tip is you need to "run as administrator" when setting the "run at windows start" option) and I don't even see it's there.

It seems to shutdown perfectly, all the time.

The only downside is that this software, which has minimal utility sells for $20 which is rather ridiculous. If they priced it at $10 or even $5 they would sell more copies, especially to the HTPC crowd.
well, when i found this KeyEXTENDER application, i was delighted!!
yeah its a payware but, man, it rocks!

you can re-map your keyboard completely the way u want,
u can re-map a key to act as a key-combination,
u can set a key to launch any desired application,
u can set macro too!

overall, never liked EventGHOST, but i love keyEXTENDER!!
voip-ninja Wrote:eskro, you are the man. This appears to be the missing piece of the puzzle and does exactly what i need.

Glad i could help, ftw!!!!!!!
WutHuh
EG can do all this and so much more.

If you just want to bind shutdown:
Start EG click NEW.
Right click on the Tree add Plugin for your remote.
Richt click on Tree add Macro add Shutdown action.
Press off button on remote, you should see the input on the left and just drag and drop it to the Macro.
press Save and done.
Then you can just add the XBMC2 plugin and drag and drop all the buttons to the XBMC macros.
Ya. Kind of like what I remember from playing with Eventghost. Want to accomplish one thing, have to configure five things minimum. Thanks for the assistance though, perhaps someone else will find it useful.
i agree with voip on this one.
not bashing on EventGHOST but sometimes,
u just want something quick and easy to figure out.

EventGhost does have a learning curve which some users
might not want to go through.
i know i dont want to Tongue

KeyEXTENDER is my weapon of choice!
eskro Wrote:i agree with voip on this one.
not bashing on EventGHOST but sometimes,
u just want something quick and easy to figure out.

EventGhost does have a learning curve which some users
might not want to go through.
i know i dont want to Tongue

KeyEXTENDER is my weapon of choice!

I agree, if someone wants to save $20 then let them fiddle around with EventGhost for the minutes/hours it might take to do something that can be done with KeyExtender in literally 90 seconds.
like i posted before, wouldn't you be abe to achieve this directly in Harmony without ever having to use another software? I have not seen any screen with S (shutdown menu) does not come up.
Eventghost is a pain to configure, but well worth it once you know how.
r1lee Wrote:like i posted before, wouldn't you be abe to achieve this directly in Harmony without ever having to use another software? I have not seen any screen with S (shutdown menu) does not come up.

The only way to do it in harmony is with a macro that does this;

Press S (shutdown menu)
pause .5 seconds
press down arrow (to the shutdown choice)
pause .5 seconds
press 'enter'

This will shutdown... the problem is it's not 100% reliable. It also does not execute the shutdown at all if you are not already in XBMC.
voip-ninja Wrote:The only way to do it in harmony is with a macro that does this;

Press S (shutdown menu)
pause .5 seconds
press down arrow (to the shutdown choice)
pause .5 seconds
press 'enter'

This will shutdown... the problem is it's not 100% reliable. It also does not execute the shutdown at all if you are not already in XBMC.

I don't have that issue as you with regards to Pause. Why do you have press down? I believe if you set XBMC Shutdown function to Shutdown, then the Shutdown icon will be automatically highlighted when S is pressed. Like any keyboard stroke, no pause is necessary, the command will be sent directly following S which will shutdown.

But yes, it will not work in windows.
r1lee Wrote:I don't have that issue as you with regards to Pause. Why do you have press down? I believe if you set XBMC Shutdown function to Shutdown, then the Shutdown icon will be automatically highlighted when S is pressed. Like any keyboard stroke, no pause is necessary, the command will be sent directly following S which will shutdown.

Set 1 button to automatically launch XBMC. Then use the macro to shutdown from XBMC.
Balinus Wrote:Set 1 button to automatically launch XBMC. Then use the macro to shutdown from XBMC.

see i don't have that 1 issue since i have XBMC loaded at startup and that's all i use it for.
r1lee Wrote:I don't have that issue as you with regards to Pause. Why do you have press down? I believe if you set XBMC Shutdown function to Shutdown, then the Shutdown icon will be automatically highlighted when S is pressed. Like any keyboard stroke, no pause is necessary, the command will be sent directly following S which will shutdown.

No, that's not correct.

Whether or not the option is set in XBMC to 'shutdown the PC' when the shutdown option is selected, the default choice when the 's' key is pressed is EXIT which will not shut anything down, it will just exit to windows. This is why you also have to do an arrow down and then an enter.

Before I added the pause about 10% or so of the time the keys would be transmitted from the Harmony too quickly (default I think is a very tight 30ms) and XBMC would miss one or more of them leaving it stranded without shutting down.

The option to change the IR speed was not one I wanted to look into since I was very happy otherwise with inter-key delay, etc, with my setup.

Anyways, all I can say is that KeyExtender does the job PERFECTLY and has the added bonus of shutting down even if something crashes and you are in the Windows desktop instead of XBMC.

The only problem with KeyExtender is the ludicrous $20 price.
yeah but still, i just need to avoid going out on a friday night and
i can buy like 5 keyEXTENDER licenses Tongue
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?3