• 3(current)
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?
blackbango Wrote:Hi eskro, first time post so a bit of a newbie but would this do.http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx:grin:

would do!?
eskro Wrote:would do!?
Blush Sorry I ment would this not allow me to turn my htpc off as well. The website says that it will control both your tv and htpc through xbmc.
that should be a question to ask them, i dunno sorry Tongue
voip-ninja Wrote:I just heard back from ASRock support in Chino, California. They will provide the USB CIR receiver for only $8 which includes shipping. Rather glad now that I did not spring for an extra $50 for a higher end motherboard that included it.

I'm not sure if it will work with other, non ASRock motherboards but $8 is a heckuva lot cheaper than anywhere else for this thing.
did they give you the price for their mce remote too? did they say where can you order it from? i emailed the same place as you, but they haven't reply.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
So please post the ordering info when you get it for the $8 part

so when you get the IR header (receiver eye).

How are you going to get the power on and power off commands into the harmony? or is that already part of the MCE profile?

Very exciting
Free Solution : Use your Android phone if your computer is connected to a WLAN router

- Get XBMC remote, e.g. https://market.android.com/details?id=or...rch_result
- Get a wake on LAN app, e.g. https://market.android.com/search?q=wake...o=1&c=apps

Voila your mobile phone functions as remote and you can power on your computer with it

Edit : As it seems XBMC remote already supports wol by itself.
bluray Wrote:did they give you the price for their mce remote too? did they say where can you order it from? i emailed the same place as you, but they haven't reply.

They did not offer to sell me the Receiver + Remote, they directed me to SuperBiiz for those components, but I'm not sure that SuperBiiz sells them.

It took them about 1-2 days to reply to my support request.

They also warned me that they only support their IR receiver with their own remote and driver and that I was on my own if it did not work with my Harmony.
rufrothy Wrote:So please post the ordering info when you get it for the $8 part

so when you get the IR header (receiver eye).

How are you going to get the power on and power off commands into the harmony? or is that already part of the MCE profile?

Very exciting

I imagine that the remote profile is identical to the ASRock Vision 3D which should be in the Harmony database.
devport Wrote:Free Solution : Use your Android phone if your computer is connected to a WLAN router

- Get XBMC remote, e.g. https://market.android.com/details?id=or...rch_result
- Get a wake on LAN app, e.g. https://market.android.com/search?q=wake...o=1&c=apps

Voila your mobile phone functions as remote and you can power on your computer with it

Edit : As it seems XBMC remote already supports wol by itself.
how is that going to turn on/off htpc without cir? why would i want my kids to destroy my $550 phone?
bluray Wrote:how is that going to turn on/off htpc without cir? why would i want my kids to destroy my $550 phone?

Laugh not everyone has kids! But indeed, good point here. Cheap and good remote is the way to go with kids!
Balinus Wrote:Laugh not everyone has kids! But indeed, good point here. Cheap and good remote is the way to go with kids!
i cannot immagine having 5 kids toss around my $550 smart cell phone!
bluray Wrote:i cannot immagine having 5 kids toss around my $550 smart cell phone!

I would even cringe if they were tossing around and slobbering on my $185 Harmony One.
valid point! +1 Smile
voip-ninja Wrote:I would even cringe if they were tossing around and slobbering on my $185 Harmony One.
$20 hp mce remote is what i provided to them. i never buy any remote for more than $50 yet.
Okay, I have gotten some requests to provide some specifics on the USB IR that I am going to order directly from ASRock.

1. I'm not responsible if you try to order this and they say "who the hell are you", "no" or simply ignore you (I included a printout of the support response that indicated they could sell me one when I ordered mine to try to avoid that possibility).

2. I'm not responsible if this thing does not work with your motherboard (or your universal remote).

3. From doing research on this, the profile for Microsoft MCE should simply "work" with this thing, but I'm not sure about the power on/off functionality, I will know more if/when mine arrives.

4. The nice folks at ASRock told me I could get the USB adapter + remote control directly from Super Biiz, so you could always try going that route too.

5. Maybe if enough people flood them with checks requesting these devices they will realize there is a retail market for it and make the part available on Newegg and elsewhere.... or, they could decide they don't want to deal with end users and stop offering it. I don't know. Caveat Emptor.

So, here's the info.

Quote:f you just want to purchase USB receiver directly, we will charge $8.00/each item service fee* (item + shipping fee included).Please make your check or money order payable to “ASRock America Inc” and provide the model name, shipping address and your contact information with your check or money order.

Send it to:

ASRock America

Attn: Sales Dept.
13848 Magnolia Ave.
Chino, CA 91710

We will ship it out by USPS regular mail next day after receiving your check. Thanks!

Once again, thank you for choosing ASRock product.

Note 1: Sorry, we don’t accept cash, credit card, Paypal or walk-in payment.

Note 2: * Canada customers need to indicate the check or money order will be paid in U.S dollar.

Best regards,

ASRock Customer Service
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?3