[ATV2] Can't open video files
Hi all. I can't open any videos through XBMC on my ATV2 today. Hopefully someone can assist.

- I have no previous issues since install (a week ago).
- Repeatable for all videos.
- Videos are contained on a Network Drive.
- Videos can be successfully accessed/played from my Mac via the Network.

Please let me know if I should be posting additional information.

Details

Platform: Apple TV 2
Version of iOS/ATV: 4.3 (2557)
XBMC: Git:20110623-62171b3
Install Method: Jailbroken with Seas0nPass, XBMC installed via Terminal (ssh)
Skin: Confluence Vertical
Media: Windows SMB over 802.11n

Steps to reproduce

1. Reboot ATV2.
2. Launch XBMC.
3. Dialogue box appears: Title: Playback Failure. Comments: One or more items failed to play. Check the log file for details.

Logs

Error occurs at 14:33:04, from line #336:
xbmc.log.old - http://pastebin.com/gbJdgEt0
Your log seems incomplete. The error must be after the end of your posted log. Please post the full log.

Beside that its wise to use the IP of the server instead of the netbios name. NetBIOS name resolution is a "may work, may not work" in the windows world Sad
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That's the xmbc.log.old in full as copied from the file. Any guidance on getting additional lines?

How do I run off IP addresses? Is it a router setup thing?
nope its a video soruce setup thing ... you have to exchange the smb://HENRY thingy with smb://<ip of your NAS>
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
A lot of folks are using a DHCP reservation on their router to make sure they can control the IP address of the system sharing their files.

That way the entry in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml for that video source doesn't ever need to be modified with a new IP.
jd2157 Wrote:A lot of folks are using a DHCP reservation on their router to make sure they can control the IP address of the system sharing their files.

That way the entry in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml for that video source doesn't ever need to be modified with a new IP.

Don't really get this (dhcp reservation would be DNS imho and not NetBIOS) - but it seems he has added his SAMBA source by using the SAMBA browser. These sources get generated with the NetBIOS name of the server (in his case "HENRY"). But the library we use for accessing smb shares might have issues in resolving HENRY back to an IP. This is not necessarily the fault of the library but the concept of netbios resolution and samba master browser election. It is just saver to use the IP adress because the netbios name resolution can be funky depending on the currently activated samba boxes (not only windows) in the network and the order in which they where powered on (yes sounds strange - and indeed it is!).
Quote:XBMC: Git:20110623-62171b3

Install nightly build.
Memphiz Wrote:It is just saver to use the IP adress because the netbios name resolution can be funky depending on the currently activated samba boxes (not only windows) in the network and the order in which they where powered on (yes sounds strange - and indeed it is!).

I'm a little confused.

So are you saying that the NetBIOS addresses (10.1.etc) change each time various devices are powered? Each one is assigned a different address depending on the order in which they are connected to the network. So if the ATV2 and/or the NAS are defined by one address that will change if the network devices change/reconnected??

My NAS is referred to as a directory; HENRY/etc

My ATV2 is referred to as a NetBIOS address; 10.1.etc

How do I change devices to be referred to as IP addresses? Is this a router setup? I haven't been able to find anything obvious in the router setup.

Please note, I'm extremely inexperienced in networking!

Mark
Ned Scott: My understanding is that updating the software won't resolve this issue. I'll consider this after resolving the network issue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:Memphis: nope its a video soruce setup thing ... you have to exchange the smb://HENRY thingy with smb://<ip of your NAS>

How do I change this?

Even if I do change, the NetBIOS address may change in future, so would this help?

I'm struggling with this guys, no matter how much I tried to read up on the net.
Mark_A_S Wrote:My understanding is that updating the software won't resolve this issue. I'll consider this after resolving the network issue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong, or rather, no body knows this at this point. I don't think it's an issue of pointing to the right network address because the error message would be different. It would ask if you want to remove the entry from the library. It wouldn't say playback failed.

Memphiz is explaining what could be wrong, but we don't know for sure because you still haven't posted your full debug log.

What we do know is that you are using a very out of date copy of XBMC that has tons of known bugs that have since been fixed. We also know that there really isn't any good reason to not update to the latest nightly build.
Ned, I'll update the software and then retry. If the problem persists I'll post the debug log again.

Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Can't open video files0