Automatically choosing the audio stream / subtitle for a given language
Sounds like the discussion is leaning more towards the following:

User can choose to define a single "Default Audio Language".

1) Choose Audio Stream of that language by default.
2) If audio stream found, only turn on subtitles for that language if the "forced" flag is set on it.
2b) Otherwise, turn on subtitles for the "Default Audio Language" if found.
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
dteirney Wrote:User can choose to define a single "Default Audio Language".

2) If audio stream found, only turn on subtitles for that language if the "forced" flag is set on it.

That sounds like the way to go to me. I can finish up the UI stuff in the next day or two. I just need to drop the subtitle stuff. Currently, I have a boolean option of whether or not to set a preferred language. If the user sets that to true, they can select the language from a list. The list is populated with the languages found in the streamdetails table of the database if there are any values there (that is, the library has been populated). Otherwise, the list is populated with all of the languages of iso639-1 (at least all of the ones defined in xbmc/utils/LangCodeExpander.cpp).

Can someone tell me the proper procedure to rebase my git branch to make my changes appear as a single commit? I really got into a mess last time I tried that.
I would love to have the option to set the default audio and subtitle language. I it no fun starting to watch a movie that has German as default when I can only understand English. Same goes for subtitles. I think it would be a benefit to the entire xbmc community.
dteirney Wrote:Sounds like the discussion is leaning more towards the following:

Does this mean that I'll have to manually turn on the subtitles when I'm watching movies with English audio, English subtitles and no forced flag?
jmarshall Wrote:@pecinko: That scenario is completely supported under the "Only for subtitles thanks" option that would be in the second spinner.

Point is that noone is going to want Russian audio and Chinese subs for movies that weren't originally filmed in Russian.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Not true: Many Animation is original in English and dubbed to local languages. Kids love to hear the local languages but lots of those films also attract older people who can prefer English (with or without subs).

Not to mention all those bilingual families all over the world.
Quote:Not true: Many Animation is original in English and dubbed to local languages. Kids love to hear the local languages but lots of those films also attract older people who can prefer English (with or without subs).

Not to mention all those bilingual families all over the world.

Both cases are taken care of with the above option - use separate profiles (Kids want local language regardless, adults want original + local language subs).

As I say, I suggested 2 settings:

1. The preferred language.
2. How that language should be used: Use for audio or subtitles if available OR use only for subtitles if available.

The kids set local language for 1 and "use for audio or subtitles if available". The adults set local language for 1 and "use only for subtitles if available"

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

dteirney Wrote:Sounds like the discussion is leaning more towards the following:

This seems sensible to me.
I have updated the pull request here: 274 (PR). (Note that this is just the UI side of things. dteirney will need to add the stream selection part based on that [or give me some guidance].)

jmarshall Wrote:As I say, I suggested 2 settings:

1. The preferred language.
2. How that language should be used: Use for audio or subtitles if available OR use only for subtitles if available.

Anyone have an opinion on jmarshall's suggestion #2? I can get that worked in pretty easily.

Joel
joelmeans Wrote:That sounds like the way to go to me. I can finish up the UI stuff in the next day or two. I just need to drop the subtitle stuff. Currently, I have a boolean option of whether or not to set a preferred language. If the user sets that to true, they can select the language from a list. The list is populated with the languages found in the streamdetails table of the database if there are any values there (that is, the library has been populated). Otherwise, the list is populated with all of the languages of iso639-1 (at least all of the ones defined in xbmc/utils/LangCodeExpander.cpp).

Can someone tell me the proper procedure to rebase my git branch to make my changes appear as a single commit? I really got into a mess last time I tried that.

Pretty sure this is what would be needed.
1) git pull --rebase (this should update your tree and apply existing local commits to the end)
2) git reset HEAD (this should reset the index to head, leaving all the local changes intact)
3) git commit -a (should produce a single commit with all changed files)
4) git push --force joelmeans audioselect (force may not be needed, but probably will). This will fall through to the existing pull request.

For any changes going forward using "git commit -a --amend" and then forcing a push upstream will keep the single commit in the pull request (use unless there should in fact be multiple commits for the pull request).
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
minimoe Wrote:Does this mean that I'll have to manually turn on the subtitles when I'm watching movies with English audio, English subtitles and no forced flag?

Yes, I believe it would need to be turned on manually. If there is another spinner to control what the behavior of the "Default Audio Language" might be, the following list would cover everything that has been raised. Whether XBMC should manage this level of complexity is probably worth discussing...

1) Nothing - does it make sense to use something like this rather than a boolean to "turn it on" in the first place?
2) Audio only
3) Audio and forced subtitles only
4) Audio and subtitles
5) Only subtitles

Ideally any external subtitles would be considered as well, but I don't think they are known to dvdplayer when all this logic gets evaluated.
dteirney Wrote:Ideally any external subtitles would be considered as well, but I don't think they are known to dvdplayer when all this logic gets evaluated.

They also don't have a language code associated with them so I'm not sure how they would fit in with the language settings. I am working on a change which would attempt to extract language from file-based subtitles, but obviously this is not always possible. Eg:

Some.Movie.Director's Commentary.srt
Will language preference make it in to Eden with regard to the recent announcement on soft feature freeze?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatically choosing the audio stream / subtitle for a given language0