SYSLOG file: Isn't 72Mb too large?
Question 
I decided to post a report earlier today, but was stopped by the size of my SYSLOG file. It's about 72Mb! I've seen other syslog postings and they weren't nearly this large. Is this indicative of a problem- or is it common practice to pare down and post a snippet of the file?

FWIW: I am using the 09/26/11 nightly, but had the problem (below) prior to its use.

And just in case it's an easy diagnosis, I'll mention: my post was in response to a situation where the scan for new files routinely doesn't complete. It begins just fine, but I come back in 10 minutes, and the unit's out of XBMC, sitting at the front row menu. Going back into XBMC, I see the new files are not listed in the library. I can see via 'files' browse (and play) the files thru XBMC- they're just not in the library.
That's pretty big for syslog but there could be previous entries in there from another build/problem. You could always copy that syslog somewhere safe, in case you need it, then zero out the current syslog, i.e. "cat /dev/null > /var/log/syslog" should work.

A shorter log will make it easier to zero in on the current issue.
echo "" > /var/log/syslog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SYSLOG file: Isn't 72Mb too large?0