Slow browsing folders Samba
I am running XBMC Live Dharma on an ION330.
When going into Pictures and then open a random folder, containing everything from 5 to 500 pictures, it takes over 30 seconds to just load the contents?

I click on the folder I want to open, then the UI freezes for about 30 seconds. Then the folder opens and I can browse the pictures.

What is the problem? Why can I stream 10GB Blu-ray rips without lag but not open a folder fast Huh
Cyb3rH4Xter Wrote:I am running XBMC Live Dharma on an ION330.
When going into Pictures and then open a random folder, containing everything from 5 to 500 pictures, it takes over 30 seconds to just load the contents?

I click on the folder I want to open, then the UI freezes for about 30 seconds. Then the folder opens and I can browse the pictures.

What is the problem? Why can I stream 10GB Blu-ray rips without lag but not open a folder fast Huh

Having similiar issues here but for months/years already. In my eyes XBMC is not really optimized for large folders.
E.g. I have shares mounted via SSHFS on my XBMC box. On the shell I can cd through the folders containing 1000+ directories in a second.
Browsing that same share (mounted in XBMC as a local directory e.g. /mnt/sshfs) it sometimes takes minutes to cd from one dir to another :-(

boba
As I am running the first Dharma version, I will wait for the next version (Eden) and then update. If the problem persists, I will try to do something about it.
advanced settings

<samba>
<doscodepage></doscodepage> <!-- code page to use for filenames -->
<clienttimeout>10</clienttimeout> <!-- timeout (in seconds) -->
<statfiles>true</statfiles> <!-- Set to false to disable smb stat() on files to speed up listings of large directories (over slow links) -->
</samba>

and possibly

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>
I repeat, it's NOT a Samba only problem. I am mounting shares via sshfs on my xbmc box. then add the directory where the share is mounted as video source for example /mnt/sshfsshare on my xbmc box. Again ... has nothing to do with samba.

boba
Quote:I repeat
Looks like you are not the original poster? Do you think he is stupid if he tests an advanced setting labelled to make browsing fastar? Better to test first, then you are sure. Besides, the second setting could potentially help if the delay is related to thumbnail creation.
Looks like you misunderstood me totally. All I wanted to point out, is, that we are not only talking about a samba issue. It's an issue with browsing huge directories in general, or at least on general network shares, though I doubt that because in my case XBMC wouldn't know at all that those sshfs shares are on the network.

boba

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow browsing folders Samba0