i3 vs i5 for Windows HTPC with gt520
I'm building a new HTPC to replace my ion setup.

So far:

Silverstone LC19 with 120w PSU
Silverstone 90mm CPU Cooler
GeForce GT520
4GB of DDR3 RAM
2.5" 5400 RPM HDD

Now the question is, do I go with an i3 or i5 processor?

My concern is that my ion system is not as smooth in the XBMC gui as my Core2Duo desktop machine is. Also thanks to Netflix using Silverlight (no GPU acceleration) the ion fails to play Netflix HD. I am not overly concerned with the cost of the processor, but with the power load. The PSU I have is only 120W. The gt520 is rated for a TDP 29W with an idle of ~10W. Can I run an i5 setup without drawing too much power? Will an i3 perform fine for the GUI and Netflix HD?

Any information would be great! Thanks!!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=901...stcount=36
Well, dunno much about power consumption but 120W may be pushing it. But I can definitely tell you that the Intel 13 2100 S.Bridge works well in my rig streaming all content online to include HULU..Netflix ..ect..ect!! All themes within XBMC that i have tried work just as snappy as ever. The i5 may be a bit of overkill if ur just HTPC'n, you may want to save money wherever you can..

Sounds like you may be looking to build within group 5-6 parameters so Check this out:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post843683
I feel that 120W should be fine for an i3 setup using the following:

i3 - 2120T (35W) paired with my 30W GT520, even at full load should be well under 100W. As long as the i3 will perform well in the GUI and support Netflix HD I'll be happy.

Thoughts?
Tim. Wrote:I feel that 120W should be fine for an i3 setup using the following:

i3 - 2120T (35W) paired with my 30W GT520, even at full load should be well under 100W. As long as the i3 will perform well in the GUI and support Netflix HD I'll be happy.

Thoughts?
i wouldn't bet on that 120w to power everything. you might want to verify the overall power consumption here- eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3 vs i5 for Windows HTPC with gt5200