Unable to compile with airtunes on Linux
Hi guys,

I installed libshairport with the bundled Makefile and configured --with-airtunes, but building xbmc fails on AirTunesServer.

Code:
CPP     AirTunesServer.o
AirTunesServer.cpp: In member function ‘bool CAirTunesServer::Initialize(const CStdString&)’:
AirTunesServer.cpp:346:22: error: aggregate ‘printfPtr funcPtr’ has incomplete type and cannot be defined
/tmp/xbmc/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.h: At global scope:
/tmp/xbmc/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.h:83:157: warning: ‘g_charsetConverter’ defined but not used
make[1]: *** [AirTunesServer.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xbmc/xbmc/network'
make: *** [xbmc/network/network.a] Error 2

This is Gentoo GCC 4.5.3 on x86_64.

Interestingly, the xbmc live ebuild fails already in configure:
Code:
configure:22819: checking for shairport_set_ao in -lshairport
configure:22844: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o conftest -march=core2 -maes -mpclmul -msahf -msse3 -msse4 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -mssse3 -mstackrealign -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DPIC -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE6
4_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DNDEBUG=1  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed conftest.c -lshairport  -lsmbclient -lXrandr -lavahi-client -lavahi-common -lpulse -lmicrohttpd -lSDL_image -lSDL_mixer -lrt -ljasper -lre
solv -ldl -lyajl -lssh -lmysqlclient -lssl -lcrypto -lz -llzo2 -lpthread -ltiff -ljpeg -lbz2 -lGLU -lGLEW -lGL  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -rdynamic -L/usr/lib64/mysql -lmysqlclient -L/usr//lib64 -lz -lcrypt -
lnsl -lm -L/usr/lib64/ -lssl -lcrypto -lfontconfig   -lfribidi   -lsqlite3   -lpng14   -lpcre   -lpcrecpp   -lcdio -lm   -lsamplerate   -lfreetype   -lasound   -ldbus-1 -lpthread -lrt   -lSDL -lpthread   -l
X11   -lXext   -lXt -lX11   -lXmu -lXt -lX11   >&5
/usr/local/lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `sincos'
/usr/local/lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `pow'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Perhaps I am missing some dependencies?
"printfPtr funcPtr" support was recently added to quiet libshairport's logging to printf spew. Both libshairport and xbmc have to match in version.

On the other, libshairport might be missing a linkage to some lib.
Right. The no_printf patch was added to tools/darwin/depends, but not lib/libshairport. Compiled fine after applying the patch to lib/libshairport sources.

I think the other might be related to --as-needed, I'll see if I can fix it.
bamdrainage Wrote:Right. The no_printf patch was added to tools/darwin/depends, but not lib/libshairport. Compiled fine after applying the patch to lib/libshairport sources.

missing patch in lib/libshairport added in trunk, so that's fixed now.
bamdrainage Wrote:Right. The no_printf patch was added to tools/darwin/depends, but not lib/libshairport. Compiled fine after applying the patch to lib/libshairport sources.

did you have any success fixing the --as-needed error?

btw. is it really necessary to install it in /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/lib?
ofc not necessary. but who'd want non-system maintained libs in their /usr ?
einhänder Wrote:did you have any success fixing the --as-needed error?

Explicitly adding -lm after -lshairport to LIBS in the configure test seemed to fix the --as-needed issue when libshairport was built with the bundled Makefile. Can perhaps be fixed by adding LIBS="-lm $LIBS" to configure.in, (i.e after USE_AIRTUNES=0).

Anecdotally, if libshairport itself is being linked --as-needed xbmc configure fails to link ssl.

Code:
configure:22819: checking for shairport_set_ao in -lshairport
configure:22844: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o conftest -march=atom -m64 -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse -msahf -mmovbe -mhard-float -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DPIC -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DNDEBUG=1  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed conftest.c -lshairport -lm -lsmbclient -lXrandr -lavahi-client -lavahi-common -lmicrohttpd -lSDL_image -lSDL_mixer -lrt -ljasper -lresolv -ldl -lyajl -lbluetooth -lmysqlclient -lssl -lcrypto -lz -llzo2 -lpthread -ltiff -ljpeg -lbz2 -lGLU -lGLEW -lGL  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -rdynamic -L/usr/lib64/mysql -lmysqlclient -L/usr//lib64 -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -L/usr/lib64/ -lssl -lcrypto -lfontconfig   -lfribidi   -lsqlite3   -lpng14   -lpcre   -lpcrecpp   -lcdio -lm   -lsamplerate   -lfreetype   -lasound   -ldbus-1 -lpthread -lrt   -lSDL -lpthread   -lX11   -lXext   -lXt -lX11   -lXmu -lXt -lX11   >&5
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_new_mem_buf'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_free'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_s_mem'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_f_base64'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_free_all'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_ctrl'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `AES_set_decrypt_key'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `RSA_size'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `RSA_private_decrypt'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `RSA_check_key'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_new'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `RSA_private_encrypt'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `PEM_read_bio_RSAPrivateKey'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_set_flags'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `AES_cbc_encrypt'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_push'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `RSA_free'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_write'
/usr//lib64/libshairport.so: undefined reference to `BIO_read'
spiff Wrote:ofc not necessary. but who'd want non-system maintained libs in their /usr ?

That's true. But I created an ebuild for Gentoo, see: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=386909

@bamdrainage
Thanks for your hints. But as you can see in the bug report I wasn't able to fix it with your solution. What worked is to filter --as-needed in the xbmc ebuild by adding:

Code:
inherit flag-o-matic ...  pkg_setup() {     append-ldflags $(no-as-needed) }
But I assume this would not be accepted by the xbmc ebuild maintainer.
einhänder Wrote:
Code:
inherit flag-o-matic ...  pkg_setup() {     append-ldflags $(no-as-needed) }
But I assume this would not be accepted by the xbmc ebuild maintainer.

You could try:
  1. build libshairport without --as-needed (using flag-o-matic.eclass)
  2. patch xbmc ebuild/sources to add -lm directly after -lshairport in the configure test

That made configure pick up the library, but I was unable to test functionality (and lost interest) since I don't have iTunes.

Don't install libpng15 if you want to try it, however..
commit https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/40ab...7741e902f4 fixed it on gentoo, too.

thanks a lot. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to compile with airtunes on Linux0