XBMC: a future in cars?
IMO strapping any tablet or netbook to the vents, to me its not a carpc. Its an oversize iTouch far from something that is truly integrated into the vehicle.

From a person who has built alot of car pc's what you described is honestly something I would stay far away from. Making something work that has lil potential when there are alot of options available which are specifically geared toward the mobile market doesn't add up. I can see alot of problems that will eventually lead you to purchase the right gear, however you seem determined to make gold outta plastic.
Id rather spend a day building a carpc system and enjoy it for years to come then to spend months figuring out how to make something work.

All the above is my opinion, dont let a knowledgable person keep you from trying. Goodluck with your project, and post your pics too as everyone I am sure would like for you to make it work.
(2011-10-04, 17:50)mike-1 Wrote: PSU Something like this, will provide regulated 12v output, including during engine cranks.

Internet connection could be done with a mobile broadband USB dongle. Or with Wifi all scraping could be done from home when content is added, so no need to connect whilst driving.

Provided you do your updates and scraping at home in your driveway (Where you have access to your own wireless network) the amount of 3G / 4G data used whilst out on a trip would be negligable anyway - it would only update basic things like weather and similar things. No different to what your smart phone does via the 3g/4g data connection already. ;-)
There are a few projects out there, but they don't tackle SatNav, phone and other more usual in-car gadgetry.

One example: http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-car-computer/
I too think android is the way to go for this. It already has perfectly functional mapping functions and an xbmc client. My BMW has a screen that can be subbed for an android thing anyway.

Frankly the idea of video in the dashboard is dangerous and in some places illegal. The back of the headrests so the kids can watch, cool.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Videos playing on the dash while driving is a very bad idea. I'd be lying if I said I haven't watched Family Guy while going nowhere in a traffic jam or car park though.

I use a Nexus 7, I had to switch to a car launcher to stop me being distracted. I have media controls (music via bluetooth), speed warning, speed camera warning, SatNav, a button to access Google Now and voice control. I have also got it in a slim fitting case that it can clip out of and come with me. I use a Mifi hotspot for streaming music via subsonic and accessing the web for directions etc. Not sure if I can squeeze it into my new car somewhere but I'm going to give it my best shot.

I'm tempted to add a wifi HDD or RPi to the mix so there is no steaming involved and all music will be local.

I rarely use XBMC on it but it's there if I want it.

The kids have a cheap android tablet each, they use use XBMC and tend to hold them rather than have them mounted so they can play games as well as watch stuff.
The best use I found for my BMW's built in TV tuner was during drive thru at McD's, but the moment the car went above about 2kph it switched off.

Now they have switched off analog tv it doesn't work at all.

hmmmmmm a complete PVR solution in the car? Jut maybe I don't do enough McD for that.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think, it is a terrible idea for some people to start using XBMC in a ICTS (in car theatre system) because no doubt, we going to get flooded with unrelated mechanical/electrical problems flooding the forums, I can see it now, my car wont start since I installed xbmc.. No, thank you, ok ok, Im joking but I wont rule it out... I know exactly how that goes Smile

That said, I have xbmc running just fine in various "shag-waggons/shag-mobiles", its a ancient idea, perhaps as old as the flipout dash screens starting coming out. I used pure wave-sine invertors to run some more decent equipment rather than some more expesive and less capable hw. but this is 5 years ago.

All the rest navigation and telephony hands free its very possible to do I bet via addons and now when binary addons make it in to XBMC finally then you can see truly amazing stuff along the lines of instant driving bans etc. Ya, you will get done, same as pulling mobiles while driving.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC: a future in cars?0