Getting Surround off 6 channel
hey there guys. i have a 6 channel speaker set that sounds great but htpc i built only has optical out/coaxial out.

i was wondering if i can use this device Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi and be able to use my speakers.

i am running xbmc live 10.1 and am sure there will be terminal commands i will have to do or if theres anything else much simpler to solve my problem your opinions would be great.

i spent $450 on my htpc and dont have enough $$ at the moment to get affordable sound equipment.

thanks
TV - 70" LG UM6970PUA  
AVR - Denon x2400h 5.2.2 Surround
Devices - Apple TV 4K, nVIDIA Shield TV Pro
Server - unRAID Pro, v6.9 | Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus (Wifi) | AMD Ryzen 9 3950x | 64GB G.SKILL | 12TB Dual Parity + 92TB Storage
Remote - Logitech Harmony Smart Hub & Control
I definitely would not get a creative X-Fi, linux support is poor.
My sister got one of these a year or so ago and it worked fine for similar circumstances:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-1-AC3-DTS-Au...3f0c603843
bobo1on1 Wrote:I definitely would not get a creative X-Fi, linux support is poor.

It is not poor, I have been using one of those USB devices for years as an easy way to add optical out to a Linux box that needs it. The USB ones are fine, PCIe not-so-much.

With that said, I have never tried the discrete outputs in Linux because I honestly lack anything that accepts a 6 channel analoge input. I have only tried stereo and the optical out.

thanks for the responses

@poofyhairguy @T800 does it work out of the box or will there be terminal commands invoolve??
TV - 70" LG UM6970PUA  
Server - unRAID Pro, v6.9 | Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus (Wifi) | AMD Ryzen 9 3950x | 64GB G.SKILL | 12TB Dual Parity + 92TB Storage
The one I linked on Ebay just just plugs in.
It takes AC3, DTS and PCM digital signals and outputs them in analog stereo or 5.1. You could use it with anything with optical output.
Furby8704 Wrote:thanks for the responses

@poofyhairguy @T800 does it work out of the box or will there be terminal commands invoolve??

Out of the box in XBMC live.

thank you so much you guys. ill go ahead and purchase one =]
TV - 70" LG UM6970PUA  
Let me know your results please.

so i went ahead and got the creative sound blaster x-fi 5.1 usb
i couldnt get it to work out of the box

luckily i found this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...laster+usb
it worked flawlessly after that =]

heres a screenshot of my settings

TV - 70" LG UM6970PUA  

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting Surround off 6 channel0