ATV Newbie Help
I came across a ATV 2 and decided to play with it a little.

So far I have done a lot of reading and have a couple questions.

Thus far I DLed TU and went ahead and backed up the SHSH from the unit before I did anything and it says saved 7 shsh
4.3 (4.2.2) currently installed
and 4.4b1 through b6 which I assume is some sort of beta builds?

I DLed Greenpoision, iTunes, as well as the 4.3 and 4.3.0 firmwares for future use if required.

Which firmware should I use for XBMC and is there any special considerations for any of the mentioned firmwares? I am reading about requireing nightlies possibly and the such?
Should I allow iTunes to upgrade to the current firmare which I have no idea what the current is before I do the whole update be gone thing?
Is there a good ssh utility other than putty for win 7?

Thanks
Here's some links that should answer most of your questions:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99315
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ
cacraze, I am using the latest iOS4.3 (I like to use Vimeo as a native app) - all works perfectly for me.

I am using the standard XBMC version (installed via nitoTV) - as although the nightlies can be better sometimes, and can improve some stuff, they also occasionally mess up, and you need to find a stable nightly & stick with it - this seems to be counter-intuitive!

Unless you want to be cutting edge, and tinkering with the development, stick with the standard. Someone will probably argue against this, so get them to recommend a stable nightly. I find standard works perfectly (all my files are mp4 or mkv).

I am also win7, I use Putty for SSH, but Filezilla for transferring files onto atv2.

Also try to find the remote config, (search forum) to change the up/down buttons to perform 10min forward/back step - really useful.
tomwrob Wrote:cacraze, I am using the latest iOS4.3 (I like to use Vimeo as a native app) - all works perfectly for me.

I am using the standard XBMC version (installed via nitoTV) - as although the nightlies can be better sometimes, and can improve some stuff, they also occasionally mess up, and you need to find a stable nightly & stick with it - this seems to be counter-intuitive!

Unless you want to be cutting edge, and tinkering with the development, stick with the standard. Someone will probably argue against this, so get them to recommend a stable nightly. I find standard works perfectly (all my files are mp4 or mkv).

I am also win7, I use Putty for SSH, but Filezilla for transferring files onto atv2.

Also try to find the remote config, (search forum) to change the up/down buttons to perform 10min forward/back step - really useful.

10.0-9 is anything but a stable version. I would strongly recommend for everyone to upgrade to the latest nightly builds. There have been sooooo many improvements since then that it's crazy to stay with the 10.0-9 Cydia version.

Also, remote config for long seek has an XBMC Wiki mirror: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Key...Remote.xml
Thanks for the information.

From some of the additional reading in this thread it seems as though the older firmware that it has in it I should stay with the 4.3 (4.2.2) according to the Wiki?

Any recomendations as the best file sharing for this thing as my library resides on a NAS which I use for my other XBMC devices, SMB, NFS, Itune server?

Thanks again.
carcraze Wrote:Thanks for the information.

From some of the additional reading in this thread it seems as though the older firmware that it has in it I should stay with the 4.3 (4.2.2) according to the Wiki?

Any recomendations as the best file sharing for this thing as my library resides on a NAS which I use for my other XBMC devices, SMB, NFS, Itune server?

Thanks again.

I'm using the latest firmware and it works fine... most, if not all, of the bugs have been resolved. Only one I'm not sure about is the Rowmote stuff from nitoTV.

In case you didn't see it in the FAQs, there's an SSH alternative called Tunnelier.

As for sharing, there's an FAQ that discusses it and I just added another link to a good thread with more options. SMB is probably easiest, if that doesn't work well I'd try FTP next... I'd only use NFS as a last resort, it works well but it's configuration is a fair bit more work - even if you're familiar with it.
Thanks for all the help so a new question.

I have managed to JB the thing what an adventure that was, so it is running the newer 4.3 FW now. I followed the WIKI posted and installed the Cyda version then updated to the latest nightly OCt 4.

The remote does not seem to do much in XBMC the only button that appears to do anyhting is the enter or menu, I can not seem to scroll around and pick any selections?

Is there another special file that has to be installed, I saw the one posted above for the seek function does that have to be installed for the other functions as well?

On another note the Tunnelier app is quite nice.
After this all I think I have left is the uodate be gone install if I can get the remote working.

Thanks
Strange that your remote doesn't work - you shouldn't need to do anything - the seek function is a custom preference that I like.

Does the remote not work in XBMC, or the ATV as a whole (ie can you navigate the ATV normally before you launch XBMC?)
- This will target the problem a little. If XBMC only then it may be that the nightly you installed has a bug? Hence why I have steered clear of them generally.

@ Ned Scott - I find the cydia version quite good, only ever crashed once, on BBC Planet Earth HD clip (which is a intensive). Can you recommend a nightly version that is stable to install?
Thanks for the quick response.

The remote only seems affected in XBMC, I was wondering if it had to do with this skin issue in the nightlies but it looks like a confluence hybrid skin ie 4 panels on the opening screen of which I can not navigate to any of them LOL>.

I was thinking I may restore back to orig and redo the process as I installed as the wiki which does not install Nito if I did it right and the faq in JD2157 sig suggests installing through NitoTvHuh

Who knows I may have botched something, the JB process was less than smooth and the terminal commands took a little to get use to, and to think I use to love command line once apon a time.

I installed the latest mind you the rumble on the forum seems to suggest a sept build the 26th maybe? Not sure if it is available or not I did not check.

Thanks again
I think the latest nightly had a mistake in the skin. Basically the iOS version was set to use the confluence touch skin as default (for Ipad, Iphone and ATV). Obviously this is useful for ipad users, but not so good for atv!

This is why I was asking for a good stable nightly.
There was definitely an issue with the default skin... was set to touched and not confluence... it's been fixed in the latest build. You might need to edit guisettings.xml though if the touched skin is already in there, i.e. not sure if installing the latest build will change the default skin for you.

carcraze, if you exit XBMC, move your userdata folder to userdata.old, install the latest nightly and launch XBMC that'll get you back to the confluence skin.. what you're describing is definitely the touched skin meant for the touch devices.
That is interesting as the install I did was the first ever on this system and I used the Oct 4 build which in the other thread was listed as the issue in skins was resolved.

Since I did not install Nito and by the looks of it there are some neat added features I may just start over, as opposed ot trying to install that package on top of what I have.

So if I restore orig firware I assume that wipes everything?

If I decide to move the folder which I am sure I can through Tunnelier where might I find it in the ATV as I have not changed anything yet?

May not get a chance to play with it tonight though.

Sorry for the stupid questions.
carcraze Wrote:That is interesting as the install I did was the first ever on this system and I used the Oct 4 build which in the other thread was listed as the issue in skins was resolved.

Since I did not install Nito and by the looks of it there are some neat added features I may just start over, as opposed ot trying to install that package on top of what I have.

So if I restore orig firware I assume that wipes everything?

If I decide to move the folder which I am sure I can through Tunnelier where might I find it in the ATV as I have not changed anything yet?

May not get a chance to play with it tonight though.

No need to start over/rejailbreak. You can install new XBMC builds and even NitoTV without having to. It makes no difference.
carcraze Wrote:Since I did not install Nito and by the looks of it there are some neat added features I may just start over, as opposed ot trying to install that package on top of what I have.

NitoTV can be installed any time, there's no benefit to wiping out everything (yes installing firmware does this)... other than for the install practice.

The "Report an XBMC problem" link in my sig mentions a few useful paths, userdata is in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC. You can just remove/rename guisettings.xml and have it recreated once you've installed the latest build. I just verified it will recreate guisettings.xml with the right skin.

Not that your questions were stupid necessarily, but the best way to apologize is by reading stickies and FAQs Smile
Thanks for the help

I have been reading quite a lot, your faq is a little different from the wiki faq and there appears to be a lot of information to sift through.

One more question, I have never played with IOS before (not an apple guy), is there any good literature out there that details the commands used, as I assume they are not ATV specific but searches for ATV 2 commands has come up empty?

Some are pretty easy to figure out while inputting them but a referrance might intrigue me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV Newbie Help0