ATV Newbie Help
carcraze Wrote:One more question, I have never played with IOS before (not an apple guy), is there any good literature out there that details the commands used, as I assume they are not ATV specific but searches for ATV 2 commands has come up empty?

Some are pretty easy to figure out while inputting them but a referrance might intrigue me.

There isn't much that I'm aware of... other than googling man pages for specific commands, i.e. dpkg, apt-get... etc, you don't end up needing many.

You could take a look through /bin, /sbin and /usr/bin on the atv2 to see what's there then google any interesting ones. You'll likely not find iOS specific docs but they'll be fairly accurate... maybe a few missing switches.
carcraze Wrote:Thanks for the help

I have been reading quite a lot, your faq is a little different from the wiki faq and there appears to be a lot of information to sift through.

One more question, I have never played with IOS before (not an apple guy), is there any good literature out there that details the commands used, as I assume they are not ATV specific but searches for ATV 2 commands has come up empty?

Some are pretty easy to figure out while inputting them but a referrance might intrigue me.

iOS, being based on Darwin which is based on BSD/Unix, uses bash commands like most Linux/Unix systems.

http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide...index.html
Thanks I will check it out.
Thanks for the tips, so far worked pretty well. I have Nito installed and downloaded and killed the userdata folder went ahead and loaded the Sept 26 build as I hear good things about it, so far all is well, skin is now correct.
carcraze Wrote:Thanks for the tips, so far worked pretty well. I have Nito installed and downloaded and killed the userdata folder went ahead and loaded the Sept 26 build as I hear good things about it, so far all is well, skin is now correct.

The latest builds (oct 4-5) are working well and they add the ability to play music from iTunes through XBMC... without it crashing... and without having to exit to the Apple TV menu. Memphiz did some nice work there.

I wouldn't get too tied to a specific build unless it does something specific for you. I usually keep a handful of older builds around just in case I need to downgrade (they're only 40-45Mb). In the rare case I do downgrade, so far it's only been a few days before the devs figure something out. Long story short, don't fear the latest nightly Smile
Okay well that begs another question.

If I have an older nightly downloaded say on my PC can that file be sftp into the ATV and then just the dkpg command ran?

Or does the package have to be placed on the ATV and left there which would mean not running the rm command?

If it can be SFTP over where do the packages get placed?

Thanks again
carcraze Wrote:Okay well that begs another question.

If I have an older nightly downloaded say on my PC can that file be sftp into the ATV and then just the dkpg command ran?

Or does the package have to be placed on the ATV and left there which would mean not running the rm command?

If it can be SFTP over where do the packages get placed?

Thanks again

Doesn't matter where you save them but ya you do need to SFTP it over to the ATV to run the 'dpkg -i' command. Since they're small it's probably easiest to download them directly onto the ATV... and ya, skip the rm step if you want to keep a few backup builds.

The location of the builds on the ATV is irrelevant as long as you know what the path is so it can be specified in the dpkg command. If you don't specify a directory when you SFTP it'll default to the user's home dir, i.e. if you SFTP as root you'll start in /private/var/root and that's where files will land unless you cd elsewhere.

Best thing is to just play around to get comfortable and fill in all the blanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV Newbie Help0