Required Setup for Best Audio?
Hi,

I recently built a HTPC with a HD6450 GPU, for which I was hoping to use for my audio.

What my plan was:

HTPC -{HDMI}- TV -{SPDIF}- Surround Sound

However it turns out that my TV does not support DTS passthrough, so I have had to install a Sound Card (Asus Xonar DX) so I can go direct via SPDIF to my surround sound.

Now I am:

HTPC -{HDMI}-TV
-{SPDIF}-Surround Sound

However, if I select the DTS & DD Options in XBMC the video becomes really choppy and slow. If I disable these options but leave it at SPDIF and 5.1 the video and sound work fine.

I am not sure if its my amp thats the problem, but feel that I am losing out somehow... Any advice?

Is HDMI to a good AV Reciever the way to go? The sound card I have looks pretty sweet, so I cant understand how the little GPU could produce better sound than it.

I am willing to start saving to upgrade to a AV Reciever, just need to know it its worth it. (My Surround sound is a 5 year old Sony DVD 5.1 System)
In the world of digital audio, it doesn't matter how good your sound card is - it's just a data transfer device now. Back in the Analog days, it made a big difference because the quality of the DACs (Digital-Analog Converters) were the main factor in how good your sound was. Nowadays, the DACs are in your amp, not in your sound card (unless you use analog output).

Your best bet, if your amp supports audio over HDMI, is to output the sound over the same hdmi as the video, straight to the amp, then go HDMI from the amp to the TV. You won't need an awesome sound card for this - most if not all HDMI graphics cards will do it, and remember that the audio quality is determined by the quality of your amp (more specifically the DACs in your amp), not by your sound/graphics card.

If you don't have a HDMI-compatible amp, and don't want to buy one, you can still get really good sound by doing something similar to what you have already. You connect SPDIF out from the HTPC to your amp, and HDMI out to the TV. I don't really know why the video is going choppy for you with this setup. All I can suggest is to make sure all the drivers are installed correctly. Also, make sure you've chosen the correct audio output device in XBMC. You need to select SPDIF 5.1, and make sure you have the correct sound card selected in the options at the bottom of the page. It needs to be selected for normal audio and passthrough audio.
lloydsmart Wrote:In the world of digital audio, it doesn't matter how good your sound card is - it's just a data transfer device now. Back in the Analog days, it made a big difference because the quality of the DACs (Digital-Analog Converters) were the main factor in how good your sound was. Nowadays, the DACs are in your amp, not in your sound card (unless you use analog output).

Your best bet, if your amp supports audio over HDMI, is to output the sound over the same hdmi as the video, straight to the amp, then go HDMI from the amp to the TV. You won't need an awesome sound card for this - most if not all HDMI graphics cards will do it, and remember that the audio quality is determined by the quality of your amp (more specifically the DACs in your amp), not by your sound/graphics card.

If you don't have a HDMI-compatible amp, and don't want to buy one, you can still get really good sound by doing something similar to what you have already. You connect SPDIF out from the HTPC to your amp, and HDMI out to the TV. I don't really know why the video is going choppy for you with this setup. All I can suggest is to make sure all the drivers are installed correctly. Also, make sure you've chosen the correct audio output device in XBMC. You need to select SPDIF 5.1, and make sure you have the correct sound card selected in the options at the bottom of the page. It needs to be selected for normal audio and passthrough audio.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

Yes, with my current setup I have to go SPDIF as to get the best performance, though am considering getting a new Sony DH820 AV Reciever + Boston Soundware XS speakers (when I get some dosh).

Within XBMC I have not noticed the ability to select: "correct sound card selected in the options at the bottom of the page. It needs to be selected for normal audio and passthrough audio. "

I will have a look when I get home and see if I can select this, thanks for the tip.

All I remember being able to select is SPDIF, 5.1 and if I ticked either DTS, or DD then it wouldnt work properly. With SPDIF and 5.1 selected it works, but I have the feeling that I am missing out on something.
Yes, if your amp supports DTS and DD then you should get better sound by selecting them, when using SPDIF. If it doesn't work, it's probably because you haven't selected the correct sound device (card) under "Passthrough Audio Device".
legend!

Changing the audiodevice to spdif fixed it.

Although i have the choice of WASAPI and direct sound....not sure which isbest....

Thanks for the help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Required Setup for Best Audio?0