How to access ATV2 using the internet away from home
Hi;
Can any one help me out how I can control Apple TV2 away from home using the internet. I want to transfer files to ATV2 such as repo zip files. Any help is very welcome.
ftafartout Wrote:Hi;
Can any one help me out how I can control Apple TV2 away from home using the internet. I want to transfer files to ATV2 such as repo zip files. Any help is very welcome.

figure out what the default port you connect to it is on, forward that port, and SSH/SFTP in from a remote location..?
Log on to your router's web interface and find the port forwarding menu. Forward any WAN port (my suggestion is the default port for SSH, 22) to port 22 on your ATV. Now you can SSH to your ATV from the outside. If you forwarded port 22, you don't have to specify a port, just point the SSH client to your WAN IP.

PuTTY is a great, free SSH client.

Once you're logged on to your ATV, if you want to download stuff that's available on the internet, just use wget. If you haven't got it installed on your ATV already (you can check that by simply trying the command wget), install it with
Code:
apt-get install wget

Then download the files you want:

Code:
wget <url-to-file>

An example:

Code:
wget http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/xbmc-20111005-fc24dcb-master-atv2.deb

I haven't tried if SCP works with the ATV's sshd, but if it does, I'd guess thats the best way (or at least the easiest as you don't have to forward any additional ports once you've set SSH forwarding up, or configure anything on your ATV) to transfer locally stored files to the ATV. WinSCP is a decent SCP client.
Anyone know the atv2 root password too, this is a very good way to expose your internal net to the script kiddies.
davilla Wrote:Anyone know the atv2 root password too, this is a very good way to expose your internal net to the script kiddies.

^ This. If you do this you'll want to change your root and mobile passwords.
davilla Wrote:Anyone know the atv2 root password too, this is a very good way to expose your internal net to the script kiddies.

I think we should automate the opening of firewall ports too... you know, to make it easier and faster.
Most routers allow forwarding any port to another. To reduce abuse I strongly recommend using a non-standard port on the router. The script kiddies davilla referred to tend to scan for port 22 on external IPs.
jd2157 Wrote:I think we should automate the opening of firewall ports too... you know, to make it easier and faster.

no way do I want a device automatically opening up an ssh port on my firewall, especially when said device ships with default root passwords
chuckles Wrote:no way do I want a device automatically opening up an ssh port on my firewall, especially when said device ships with default root passwords

i think it was a joke Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
As long as you change the default passwords there shouldn't be an issue. I've done this myself many times in the past.
ftafartout Wrote:Hi;
Other than ssh, I also use the VNC service on Apple Remote Desktop to help friends whom I have setup atv2 for. Ofcourse you also need to have Exposed installed on the relevant atv2 which is done through Nito tv.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to access ATV2 using the internet away from home0