XBMC keeps buffering...
Hi guys, I am using Apple TV 2G + XBMC to stream video from my MacBook Pro, everything works great but for unknown reasons the video keeps buffering every 10 seconds the longest I got without buffering was 2 minutes on SD video. Right now I am connected through wifi router to the apple tv. I tried connecting aTV via ethernet cable (didn't help) I also tried to use the nightly builds but didn't see any performance boost. I know that there are other topics like this but nothing seems to work for me. When I tried to copy files from my macbook to the Apple TV just to see how fast it will transfer I received around 300kb/s.

I am already trying to figure this out for several hours and I am going nuts here, please help! Smile
what kind of movies? codec? filesize? needz moar infoz.
Hi, I though I give you a lot of info ;P Sorry, file sizes around 500MB for the SD stuff and around 2GB for the 720p. Mostly avi some mkv. Right now I am testing it on Top Gear (avi 550MB) and it works awesome 10 minutes and no buffering but it is the first time in 5 hours :/

P.S Maybe I should use ethernet for Apple TV and MacBook?
Maybe there is some build of the nightly that you guys check out that works well? FOr me the only problem is the buffering it happens moslty on 720p stuff but bigger files (movies) like over 1GB are also an issue...

BTW I running OS X Lion on my mac so to share my external drive I use MediaMaster Server.
720p will only work without buffering when it is h.264 encoded ... 720p avi files won't be smooth (no hardware acceleration for them...) ... beside that - the atv2 wifi mostly sucks ... i would prefer ethernet for it definitly...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:720p will only work without buffering when it is h.264 encoded ... 720p avi files won't be smooth (no hardware acceleration for them...) ... beside that - the atv2 wifi mostly sucks ... i would prefer ethernet for it definitly...

Do I also need my MacBook to be on Ethernet also or only aTV? My 720p movies are mkv.

EDIT: I have just plugged the aTV via ethernet cable to my router, watching 720p H.264 mkv movie and after 2 minutes it buffered 4 times... this cannot be right :|

P.S It buffers a lot more at the beginning of the movie after 5 minutes it plays well, this is strange :/ I hope to somehow get this working so it only buffers on the lunch.
For me it was actually less buffering when I watched with wifi instead of ethernet (using a Time Capsule fwiw). I'm using the latest nightly (and streams from a Ready NAS which is connected to the TC) and I don't have any buffering, except from one after around 2 seconds of the movie. Before I had some major buffer-issues when I ran the router on a) Wide WAN b) 820.g/n or what its called, just runs on either g OR n now c) Some channels on the router, may be some electronic articles which disturbs the signal on some channels. Maybe you could try to change some of this?
TypeteType Wrote:For me it was actually less buffering when I watched with wifi instead of ethernet (using a Time Capsule fwiw). I'm using the latest nightly (and streams from a Ready NAS which is connected to the TC) and I don't have any buffering, except from one after around 2 seconds of the movie. Before I had some major buffer-issues when I ran the router on a) Wide WAN b) 820.g/n or what its called, just runs on either g OR n now c) Some channels on the router, may be some electronic articles which disturbs the signal on some channels. Maybe you could try to change some of this?

Really not sure what to change I dont have a time capsule :|
Had same thing on one AppleTV2 on wired LAN connection.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the latest nightly did solve it though.
Steps I took:

apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
apt-get autoremove
rm -Rf /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC
rm -Rf /private/var/stash/Applications/XBMC.frappliance

and then did a fresh nightly install..
Thanks @mccage I will try that, I have connected my aTV and MacBook via Ethernet cable to my router now I get 7 MB/s but when I stream HD movie there is no buffering but the sound is lagging ;/ It looks like a performance issue, what should I do? The HD movies are only 2GB and H.264 :|
I have did as you said, and install the nightly from today and everything works like a charm on ethernet I will check the wifi later Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC keeps buffering...0