Mini ITX AMD A4 3400 Build
I am having a problem with the Kozuti cooler. From looking at it, the brackets get installed onto the heatsink, and then the entire assembly gets screwed onto the motherboard with the longer screws and cushions.

The problem is that the small screws (part #4) will not thread into the HSF screw holes. The sizes are wrong...the screw holes that are drilled into the HSF are too small to accept them, they are stripping trying to go in.

Did I simply get a defective unit that does not have the correct hole sizes drilled, or am I missing something painfully obvious?
voip-ninja Wrote:I am having a problem with the Kozuti cooler. From looking at it, the brackets get installed onto the heatsink, and then the entire assembly gets screwed onto the motherboard with the longer screws and cushions.

The problem is that the small screws (part #4) will not thread into the HSF screw holes. The sizes are wrong...the screw holes that are drilled into the HSF are too small to accept them, they are stripping trying to go in.

Did I simply get a defective unit that does not have the correct hole sizes drilled, or am I missing something painfully obvious?

Mine didn't go in easy, but with minor extra force everything tightened ok. Just keep working at it, go slow and take your time.
voip-ninja Wrote:That's a valid question, I will go look at mine and see if it is configured the same way.

Yeah your right , although the PSU only covers half of the Heatsink, and i ve been monitoring the temps , because i was worried 2 , but the max i got was 48c, and that in the cabinet while playing combat Arms (free FPS online) for about 20 min . So you should be fine
voip-ninja Wrote:I am having a problem with the Kozuti cooler. From looking at it, the brackets get installed onto the heatsink, and then the entire assembly gets screwed onto the motherboard with the longer screws and cushions.

I had the same problem, till i tried a little harder , and it went in ... issue was with 1 of the 4 holes.
Djangostar Wrote:I had the same problem, till i tried a little harder , and it went in ... issue was with 1 of the 4 holes.

Hm... okay. The screws are stripping, I'm worried they will be stripped before they are fully in.

Pretty crummy manufacturing tolerances in my opinion.

I will see if I can force it (something I usually advise against). If it doesn't work out, the retailer better take it back.
And, I'm boned. Screw heads totally stripped out and screws aren't even close to being fully in. What a POS.

That sucks! Well i'm at work now , those were a pain to attach, if i remember right they were very light and u have to hold the bracket and at the same time make sure the screws were upright ( had to use those small & light screwdrivers ) and it would lock halfway , had to remove the screw and try it on a different hole ... But they finally got in.

U can also try the Stock HSF , If I had known that it could fit under the PSU , i would nt have purchased the Scythe , instead use a 2 x120mm fans on each side of the case , as the new Apex MI-008 have vent holes on both sides . And then reduce the speed of the stck fan .
Djangostar Wrote:That sucks! Well i'm at work now , those were a pain to attach, if i remember right they were very light and u have to hold the bracket and at the same time make sure the screws were upright ( had to use those small & light screwdrivers ) and it would lock halfway , had to remove the screw and try it on a different hole ... But they finally got in.

Ya, not my first rodeo by any stretch, I built my first machine with a 486 if that gives any idea. It just literally looks like the holes were made too small.

One final thing I can try I guess is to ream the holes out with the longer motherboard mounting screws.. since they are longer I might get more leverage on them... but I'm not even sure if I can get these out now they are so stripped.
voip-ninja Wrote:Ya, not my first rodeo by any stretch, I built my first machine with a 486 if that gives any idea. It just literally looks like the holes were made too small.

One final thing I can try I guess is to ream the holes out with the longer motherboard mounting screws.. since they are longer I might get more leverage on them... but I'm not even sure if I can get these out now they are so stripped.

Guess I got lucky, I ve never had to assemble an aftermarket heatsink before
Okay, so here's what I did to "fix" it.

I bored the holes out with the longer AMD F1 socket retention screws, as they have the same thread type but are much longer and have a larger/harder head so I could apply more pressure... once the holes were reamed out I was able to re-install with the stripped screws by applying a lot of caution.

Look at this picture, you can clearly see all of the metal falling off on the fan blade, demonstrating that the holes are the wrong size, clearly idiotic manufacturing happened here. I think Kozuti means "ha ha ha, you gullible American" in Chinese.

$40 for a cooler is ridiculous enough without having to jump through these kind of hoops to get it installed.

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, so here's what I did to "fix" it.

I bored the holes out with the longer AMD F1 socket retention screws, as they have the same thread type but are much longer and have a larger/harder head so I could apply more pressure... once the holes were reamed out I was able to re-install with the stripped screws by applying a lot of caution.

Look at this picture, you can clearly see all of the metal falling off on the fan blade, demonstrating that the holes are the wrong size, clearly idiotic manufacturing happened here. I think Kozuti means "ha ha ha, you gullible American" in Chinese.

$40 for a cooler is ridiculous enough without having to jump through these kind of hoops to get it installed.

Wow , Ikr . I would have sent it back, so did it work ? do u have it fully attached ?
Djangostar Wrote:Wow , Ikr . I would have sent it back, so did it work ? do u have it fully attached ?

I will hopefully know tonight. UPS hates me (even though I keep them in business by buying thousands of dollars of crap online every year)... they sometimes deliver to my house as late as 7pm... they are still not here with the motherboard.
Djangostar Wrote:use a 2 x120mm fans on each side of the case , as the new Apex MI-008 have vent holes on both sides

the MI-100 does, not the MI-008 to my knowledge o.O

Sad to hear your having issues with the SCYTHE cooler,,,

Looks pretty hard to install o.O
I can confirm the MI-08 has vent holes on both sides - I have one.

Apex MI-008 Case photos
Woooaaaa nice!!

must be some sort of a new version!

early models had only 1 side!!

Sweet!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini ITX AMD A4 3400 Build0