Ideas needed: PSU and Blu-Ray Drive for ML03 or GD06 case
Ideas needed: PSU and Blu-Ray Drive for ML03 or GD06 case

I'm leaning toward purchasing one of these cases. And I would like some input on the PSU and Blu-Ray for either of them.

The SilverStone ML03 is a bit smaller and the specifications say that 140mm is max length on the PSU, and 170 for the BluRay drive, since they butt up to each other. This is the case I'm leaning more towards purchasing.

The SilverStone GD06 specifications call for a 150mm PSU. And no limitation on the optical drive.

My plan is to go with the AMD APU, probably the A6-3500 and something like the Gigabyte A75M-UD2H depending on the deal I can get. If you have recommendations on a board, I'm willing to listen...

So what wattage supply should I get also? The more economical in power consumption the better since it will most likely be on most of the time. It will be a Windows system. Would probably like to set it up to do some light gaming also.
g725s Wrote:The SilverStone ML03 is a bit smaller and the specifications say that 140mm is max length on the PSU, and 170 for the BluRay drive, since they butt up to each other. This is the case I'm leaning more towards purchasing.
If this is the case I think it is Escro has a guide for this already which includes a smaller size power supply. I think it is an Antec Earthwatts.
As for DVD drives Samsung and LG are both reccomended here. Finding out their dimentions can be tricky though. Check with Escro's sticky on that too. The info may have been removed with the last update to the guide, IDK.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
I search for that guide. And I've seen that PSU recommended before but think that it is 150mm depth, but will need to double check that. Regretfully searching on this site is limited.
dude, the guide is one of the 3 stickies at the top of this (hardware) forum Laugh
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
outatouch0 Wrote:dude, the guide is one of the 3 stickies at the top of this (hardware) forum Laugh

Yes, looked it over and didn't find any actual builds with the ML03 case, just chatting about it. No real world experience. What I really want to know is if a 150mm PSU like the Earthwatts and a 170mm optical drive will work in this case. The only things that bug me about the case is this limitation, a few reviews state that if only the case were 3mm longer. And the plastic front, one review shows it peeling off. Other than that I think it would be a go. Just wish I could see one in person or find some real world reviews of it being used with a few different PSUs and optical drives.

What I don't like about the GD06 is that it looks like the optical drive will overlap the APUs heatsink. This bothers me more than the problems with the ML03. I would want the APU to have good cooling. If the fan were butted up to the bottom of the optical drive(which could be hot from running), I don't think that would be good at all. No air flow to the fan is not good. But I've not found real world experience reviews.
I have a ML03 with the Earthwatts PSU recommended. I've got a bluray drive in mine that's a little longer than 170mm and it fits. It's tight around that area, I'll confirm, but I'm able to put the cover on and its all good.

No experience with that other case.
Kirky99 Wrote:I have a ML03 with the Earthwatts PSU recommended. I've got a bluray drive in mine that's a little longer than 170mm and it fits. It's tight around that area, I'll confirm, but I'm able to put the cover on and its all good.

Kirky99, what Earthwatts do you have? Is it one with the 120mm fan? I would prefer one with a 120mm fan I thought I saw a picture of a 150mm length PSU and a 170mm drive in the ML03 and there was only about 7mm of space between the two. Wish I could find that picture again to confirm. I just want to make sure I buy the right parts. Is the plastic front giving you an problems?
This is the PSU I got...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817371033

Here's some 1/2 decent pics of my build. No problems with the ML03B case. It's not my favorite looking case, but people here did their checking and the stuff recommended fits. I have since put a couple of 80mm fans on the side to help with temps. I've got a quad core in here, so temps are probably going to be higher than most, and I have no problems (at least none that I know of).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106277
g725s Wrote:Yes, looked it over and didn't find any actual builds with the ML03 case

Look closely.... its there lol
eskro Wrote:Look closely.... its there lol

Yeah I saw that. But it is one thing to suggest it, and another to actually have the parts put together.

Are you saying with absolute certainty that the Earthwatts PSU works with just about any optical drive in the ML03 case? You've actually built these systems yourself?
listen, i dont splash builds for the heck of it!

Hence why you dont see the new AMD APU's in there too!!

im waiting for testing from members and such!!

they day you'll have your HTPC thread stickied,

you know u cant suggest wrong setups!!

So to answer you, the Earthwatts has been tested working in the Sliverstone case!
you have have 2foot clearence, but enough to enjoy your HTPC

sorry if this sounds like im mad, im not lol Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ideas needed: PSU and Blu-Ray Drive for ML03 or GD06 case0