Announcing MiXBMCu
What is MiXBMCu you might ask? (MintXBMCuniversal)

It is the simplest live version of XBMC for Apple TV (original), or PC Platform.

What makes it so simple?

It is a USB disk image that you copy to a 8 Gig USB thumb drive. It will start a system with no internal hard disk required

First it is based on Linux Mint 10 which I feel is the most stable and easy to use version of Linux to date, hands down. Linux Mint is easy to use even if you are new to linux.

At first start simply select your session as Gnome, and you will be taken to an easy to use GUI. Then check for drivers in the control center, and install the latest drivers for your system.

For Apple TV it will be Plug and play if you remove the internal hard disk, or copy the partitions to the internal hard disk. I may make a GUI to facilitate this copying, but have not yet done so. The same GUI might also work as PC installer

Based on
ATV Bootloader 0.6 ( as the 1.0 did not seem to work with Mint and GRUB 2)
GRUB Legacy (Stable)
LinuxMint 10 (Based on Ubuntu 10.10)
XBMC Dharma 10.1
Repositories installer add-on (Install all repos easily)

For the new linux user, no adding repositories, and no compiling.

I suspect that in the weeks to follow I will have put the final touches on it and make it available.

I was inspired to do this because I did not like the older Ubuntu and other distros (except XBMC Live) which seemed frustrating at times to an average Linux user, let alone a noob. As for XBMC Live,Ubuntu does not make all repos and drivers available by default as Mint does. This makes for easier hardware support.

If anyone wants to test this, as it is currently (incomplete), please contact me. Especially if you can test on Apple TV with HDMI and know your way around Linux. I suspect however it may have some issues with HDMI

See this link for download and information
Is now available, Link added to original ;post

Torrent seeders needed.
You should really setup a torrent yourself we could join. One with an md5sum hosted on your website. It would be easy to setup a torrent after hacking some stuff and people would take you responsible for that.

After all, you only need one torrentfile, so we all can join that one and swarm and leech untill you have multiple seeders.
If you are suggesting that I use my home connection and what little upload speed it offers I can not.

As for a server with a torrent I have considered that however controlling bandwidth and ensuring that users get the file is a delicate balance.

This file will not remain at the above link forever. Its only temporary.
I dont mind starting a Torrent for this, where would you want it tracked? I'll start it from Demonoids open tracker and Seed indefinitely. Newsgroups might be an idea too. Wink

EDIT -
Might take a while for me to get it though. Download is pretty slow.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
Do you have link for the torrent? Have 60/60 line so can seed no problem Smile

DejaVu Wrote:I dont mind starting a Torrent for this, where would you want it tracked? I'll start it from Demonoids open tracker and Seed indefinitely. Newsgroups might be an idea too. Wink

EDIT -
Might take a while for me to get it though. Download is pretty slow.
Thanks for the offers on the torrents. The best I can do is put that up on the server where it is which is a VPS on my dedicated. I can not leave it there because I do a lot of VoIP and dont want to hammer the bandwidth with downloads. I think the DC (USA Based) would also frown on torrents on the server, but I will be looking into that, as I could at least control bandwidth on torrents. Torrents are generally seen as "illegal sharing" in USA circles unfortunately. Looking at my bandwitdh consumption since posting that file is frightening.

Those of you in Europe might take note hat is a West Coast USA server, probably not optimal for you.

Demonoid is fine, however I would need a link and the current link on the site is the only delivery method I have. The file is too large for GoogleCode.

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Announcing MiXBMCu0