[MAC] [AppleTV2] Trying to access my files, on the verge of going crazy
Hi all,

I honestly think I have spent 30 hours trying to access my computer files on my appletv2. I've been through forums, tutorials, every settings on XBMC and my computer, and I cannot get a result stable enough to watch a movie on my TV. I'm really desperate at the moment, about to smash my apple tv to pieces and go raise alpacas in the Andes. http://qkme.me/355quy

My computer is a macbook pro with Snow Leopard (10.6.8), I have XBMC 10.8 on it.
My appletv has Darwin 11
I cannot upload any debug log, as for some reason I cannot SSH into my appletv...

I do everything over wifi. The router is one floor below me and there is no way I'm going to get a cable either to my computer or to the appletv.

The only firewall I have is little snitch, which blocks nothing except for a few adobe requests (don't ask...). Installed it recently though, and all my misfortunes already happened before that.

I've tried to stream via UPnP using XBMC, which sort of works, except for two things, first scraping does not work, neither for tv shows nor for movies. I therefore have to watch my stuff in file view.
Also, it will never work for more than 45 minutes, at which point it freezes and I have to go to my computer, quit XBMC, switch off and on my airport and launch XBMC again. At first I thought it may be due to my computer somehow going to sleep during the streaming, but I've turned off every setting I could find in the Energy Saver window of the system preferences to no avail.

I've tried to use UPnP with PS3 media Server.
Here again scraping does not work, and to cap it the movie buffers every 3 seconds even for SD files.

Finally I've tried to use SMB sharing. From what I've seen it should be set up correctly. One odd thing is that every time I switch on and off my airport, I need to go back to the network settings to select "workgroup" as the workgroup under the WINS advanced settings. Otherwise it is just a blank field and won't work.
Even after doing this it only works occasionally and for short period of times, and it buffers like hell. Scraping works, however.

Please someone help me.

If there is any other info I can give you, please ask.
First, READ THIS: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ

There's no XBMC 10.8, and "Darwin" revers to the OSX/iOS kernel and has nothing to do with XBMC. (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...running.3F)

If you cannot SSH into the ATV2 then it sounds like you need to rejailbreak.

After everything is set up again, install XBMC like you did before and then update to the latest nightly build: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...htly_build

Reserve IP addresses on your router for your ATV2, computer, everything. This way the IP addresses won't change every time the router powers off.

When you set up your network shares use AFP (an option available in the latest nightlies) instead of SMB.
Edit: it suddenly works...

Thanks for the reply.

I jailbroke it again using seasonpass, but I still can't SSH, even when deactivating little snitch. Here is what I get:

$ ssh root@<myATV2ip>
ssh: connect to host <myATV2ip> port 22: Operation timed out

I hardly see how I could have done something wrong. Seasonpass is pretty straightforward.
Ok, so I followed all your instructions, and installed the latest nightly build (xbmc-20111007-fec9b62-master-atv2.deb) it's looking good, but my problem now is that my files are on an external hard drive, but I can't seem to access it with AFP. How do I share external drives on the network? (I've already added it in the sharing window of the system preferences, but it does not show on my ATV2)
External drives and AFP sharing in XBMC is/was a bug. Known issue and with luck will be fixed somewhat soon if it hasn't been fixed in the last few days.
Ned Scott Wrote:External drives and AFP sharing in XBMC is/was a bug. Known issue and with luck will be fixed somewhat soon if it hasn't been fixed in the last few days.

Are you sure this is a "known" issue? I wasn't able to reproduce sharing a external drive (my timemashine usb disk formatted as HFS+) via AFP... - where you able to reproduce it?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] [AppleTV2] Trying to access my files, on the verge of going crazy0