networking help needed...
Hi All,

I have got an Addonics NAS 3.0 adapter to convert my external hard drive into a NAS, I have the issue that my router is not near my ATV2 and if I connect the NAS to the ATV2 I loose internet. I got a switch and my Airport Extreme to resolve this issue, my issue is that the Airport Extreme doesn't want to operate as a wireless bridge. Can anyone give me some guidance as to what I need to do to get this little setup operational.

Thanks in advance....
First off Im not a Apple guy so Im bias.
Ok so your problem may be Apple but im not sure. Is the Airport Extreme actually a router? I guess it only has one Lan RJ45 and one Wan RJ45. This would be why you need a switch? because the ATV2 is taking the one Lan RJ45.

If it were me I would get a router with multiple Lan connections so not to mess with a switch.

Or talk to Apple support

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/145...0&tstart=0
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, yes you are correct that the airport only has one LAN & one WAN. So to confirm if I get a wireless router with multiple ports I can do away with the switch, will this still allow me to get the internet for the ATV2 as well as streaming my media from the NAS?

Cheers....
yammy Wrote:Hi All,

I have got an Addonics NAS 3.0 adapter to convert my external hard drive into a NAS, I have the issue that my router is not near my ATV2 and if I connect the NAS to the ATV2 I lose internet. I got a switch and my Airport Extreme to resolve this issue, my issue is that the Airport Extreme doesn't want to operate as a wireless bridge. Can anyone give me some guidance as to what I need to do to get this little setup operational.

Thanks in advance....

Maybe I'm missing something but why not connect the ATV2 to the Airport Extreme via wireless and connect the NAS adapter to the router via an Ethernet cable? I don't see why you'd need a wireless bridge.

The ATV2 should be able to connect to the NAS device via one hop to the Airport Extreme (wireless) then a second hop to the NAS device (wired).

Since the Airport Extreme has 3 LAN ethernet ports I don't see why you need the switch (unless you have 2 or more additional wired network devices). Maybe you have an Airport Express.
Jetster Wrote:First off Im not a Apple guy so Im bias.
Ok so your problem may be Apple but im not sure. Is the Airport Extreme actually a router? I guess it only has one Lan RJ45 and one Wan RJ45. This would be why you need a switch? because the ATV2 is taking the one Lan RJ45.

If it were me I would get a router with multiple Lan connections so not to mess with a switch.

Or talk to Apple support

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/145...0&tstart=0

Airport Express: 1 ethernet port, can be used for WAN or LAN
Airport Extreme: 4 ethernet ports, 1 WAN + 3 LAN

Sounds like you have an Airport Express. If that's the case things are complicated. You're probably better off with an Airport Extreme (or another wireless router /w built-in switch) if you have wired network devices (like the NAS adapter).
yammy Wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, yes you are correct that the airport only has one LAN & one WAN. So to confirm if I get a wireless router with multiple ports I can do away with the switch, will this still allow me to get the internet for the ATV2 as well as streaming my media from the NAS?

Cheers....

Now I'm really confused Smile Either you have 1 wired port (Airport Express) or you have 4 (Airport Extreme) on an Apple wireless device... you can't have 2 wired network ports.

Yes, if you get an Airport Extreme for instance, you can ditch the switch since it has a built-in switch (only has 3 network ports, most wireless routers have 4).

Yes, the ATV2 will be able to get to the Internet through a Wi-Fi connection to the wireless router (which will have it's WAN port connected to your DSL/cable modem).

Yes, you'll be able to stream media from the ATV2 connected wirelessly to the Airport Extreme into which the NAS adapter will be plugged using one of the 3 or 4 network ports it has.

Not sure if that adds or removes confusion... hope it helps.
Hi,

I have the old round airport extreme which only has one LAN port & one WAN port hence the need for a switch. The reason for needing to use a bridge is that the wireless connection is not fast enough to stream my stored media to the ATV2 (it constantly buffers). I was going to attach the NAS to the ATV2 via ethernet to solve the buffering issue, the issue with this is that the ATV2 won't connect to the net via wireless if an ethernet cable is plugged in.

If you have any ideas now that you have a fuller picture of my situation that would be appreciated, just to let you know that I am currently looking at getting a Netgear Wireless-N WiFi Repeater Range Extender Bridge hoping this will solve my problems.
Buy a new router. $30 will get you wireless N and multiple wired ethernet ports. A wifi repeater won't help you. If you have an old round style Airport Base station then you have a B or G wifi connection, and those aren't fast enough for the ATV2.
Ned Scott Wrote:Buy a new router. $30 will get you wireless N and multiple wired ethernet ports. A wifi repeater won't help you. If you have an old round style Airport Base station then you have a B or G wifi connection, and those aren't fast enough for the ATV2.

Agreed. The old Airport Extreme should be retired in favor of a new wireless 802.11n router. The cheapest/best one I know of is the Linksys E1200.

Then again, there's always a new Airport Extreme or Time Capsule if you wanted to spend $$.
Hi Ned,

The reason I am after the wireless bridge is that my modem/wireless router (802.11n) is not able to connect via ethernet to the ATV2 and I need this as the media stream from my NAS constantly buffers using XBMC my proposed setup is below.

Boblite modem/wireless router (802.11n) to wirelessly connect to Netgear WN2000RPT (802.11n), NAS & ATV2 to connect to Netgear WN2000RPT via ethernet cables.

Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't this allow me to access the NAS for XBMC and access the net as well?

Cheers
yammy Wrote:The reason I am after the wireless bridge is that my modem/wireless router (802.11n) is not able to connect via ethernet to the ATV2 and I need this as the media stream from my NAS constantly buffers using XBMC my proposed setup is below.

Boblite modem/wireless router (802.11n) to wirelessly connect to Netgear WN2000RPT (802.11n), NAS & ATV2 to connect to Netgear WN2000RPT via ethernet cables.

Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't this allow me to access the NAS for XBMC and access the net as well?

Ah, so the Boblite modem/wireless router has the network ports but isn't close enough to the ATV2 so you can't plug it in directly and when you plug the NAS drive into the ATV2 that disables the WiFi connection on the ATV2 since both interfaces can't be active at the same time.

Obviously it'd be ideal if you could plug the ATV2 and NAS into the Boblite and remove the need for a wireless connection. There isn't a coax connection for the Boblite near the TV you want to plug the ATV2 into?

Anyway, if there's no way relocate the Boblite you'll need 2 wired network ports (NAS and ATV2)... I think your best bet is something like this setup. It should be more reliable and faster than a wireless repeater for streaming. Wireless is a last resort for media streaming... it's better than nothing but it's often a source of trouble.
Hi,

System update I have successfully connected the ATV2 to the WN2000RPT repeater via ethernet and have successfully set the WN2000RPT as a wireless bridge. I have also connected the NAS to the WN2000RPT via ethernet and am able to access the share which shows my computer, my router and my NAS. The issue is however that when I try and access the NAS XBMC takes ages and then shows a "timed out" message, hoping for some further guidance.
Hey guys.. hope this advice helps!!

MoCA.... Here! Will solve all of your problems if your home is wired with coaxial cables. Most cable or satellight subscribers like you and I have coaxial cable running throughout!!

With these you can hook up two theater areas. Buy two sets and you can connect four separate theater areas, unless you have to use one directly at your current router if it's not MoCA. Check my sig for more details!!

In short, MoCA is the truth no need to do wireless when HTPC'n!!
Hi All,

Thanks for all of your input I have finally got everything working and no longer have any buffering issues, the setup I ended up using is listed below if anyone else has the issue of not being able to connect directly to you Modem/Router via ethernet this set up works great.

Finished Setup
Wireless Modem/Router broadcasts internet via 802.11n to WN2000RPT (Repeater/Bridge), NAS and ATV2 connected to WN2000RPT via its inbuilt ethernet switch, internet and NAS media supplied to ATV2 via ethernet from WN2000RPT.

Thanks again for all the help...
sorry, i am late to the party... i think the airport nomenclature is confusing things. can we just refer to them as routers ?

at my home i have a blu-ray player which doesnt support wifi. so i connected my acer revo pc (xbmc-box) to the blu-ray player via ethernet and connected the pc via wifi to my netgear router upstairs. now the blu-ray player can access netflix/ pandora and the xbmc-box can access my tv shows/movies from my fedora server upstairs which is connected to the same router thru ethernet.

hopefully this illustrates a method that the op can adapt for their needs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
networking help needed...0