[ATV2] Sporadic crashes during playback
Hi all,

this is the first time posting here.
Just wanted to report the problem I'm having with playback. XBMC crashes on all kind of movies / shows at some point (time to crash always different, sometimes no crash on a whole episode).

Here is (hopefully) all required info for the debug.
If needed I can provide any additional info.

Platform: Apple TV 2
iOS 4.3 build 8F455 /w Apple TV software 4.3 (2557)
XBMC: Git: 20111007-e330173 (Compiled: Oct 8 2011)

Installed with dpkg -i / Same problem with every nightly I tried so far since about 3 weeks (thats when I bought the atv)

Access to my files via afp to a OSX Lion / Share is on an external hard drive formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Logs:
xbmc.log - http://pastebin.com/xiWCQMat
syslog - http://pastebin.com/1r8eyz6W
crashreport - http://pastebin.com/cd7Rjsww
mediainfo - http://pastebin.com/7WLE4M3X

Additionally, maybe you can tell from the logs why I can`t add sources from the Videos section. There is just a blank screen when entering the section, always have to go to system settings file browser. But I might open another topic for that one with additional logs.

I also see the problems that some formats take way longer to load. Some files start playback within seconds, others need about 4-5 min to start. Any known problem ? Should I post another log for that situation with explicit media info ?

Let me know if additional info is needed.

Thanx in advance
Thx for this nice report. I'm wondering what exactly you've done. The log shows a a pause of 12 minutes without any entry before it crashed (which could be ok - but its seldom imho). Were you still watching the movie at that time or hanging in the menu? (between 14:55 and 15:07).

Second - for adding sources use Videos->Files (the submenu) - this is known and we are discussing a better solution.

Third load time depends on the format - though 4 - 5 mins is way to long. Logfile would be needed there too then...

For the other devs - here is the symbolicated crashlog. Crash on DVDVideoPlayer.cpp:L477 on accessing m_pVideoCodec.

http://pastebin.com/ZrbTKpf3
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
OK I had a similar problem and I believe I got it fixed on my end. I believe you have already disabled the auto updates through NitoTV. It changes the host file and points mesu.apple.com to localhost. Well it actually doesn't because the host file is messed up - there is a blank line before the 127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com. What I did was manually editing the file and deleting that empty line. Do not forget to hit enter after the last line in that host file.
Another thing I did was connecting the atv2 to my router with a cable. I do not trust the wifi streaming especially when it comes to large HD videos Smile

Just check your host file and make sure it looks OK.

here is a copy of mine:
Quote:127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
XBMC crashes very often now after changing from FTP to AFP shares. This is the latest log.

Code:
16:05:46 T:142036992   DEBUG: CFileAFP::Open - opened TV Shows/Merlin/Merlin.4x02.The.Darkest.Hour.HDTV.XviD-FoV.en.srt, fd=0
16:05:46 T:142036992   DEBUG: AFP: Using anonymous authentication.
16:05:46 T:115458048   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogKaiToast.xml) ------
16:05:46 T:115458048   ERROR: ClearBlock: Trying to clear non existent block /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/script.xbmc.subtitles
16:05:46 T:165105664    INFO: Scriptresult: Success
16:05:46 T:142036992   DEBUG: CFileAFP::Close closing fd 0
16:05:46 T:165105664    INFO: Python script stopped
16:05:46 T:165105664   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 165105664 terminating
16:05:46 T:115458048   DEBUG: waiting for python thread 1 to stop
16:05:46 T:115458048   DEBUG: python thread 1 destructed
16:05:47 T:126734336   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 126734336 terminating (autodelete)
16:05:47 T:127664128   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 127664128 terminating (autodelete)
16:05:48 T:115458048   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogKaiToast.xml) ------
16:05:56 T:115458048    INFO: Python, unloading python shared library because no scripts are running anymore
16:06:19 T:142934016 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
16:06:21 T:138567680 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
16:06:22 T:142934016 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for
new data packet, with nothing available
16:10:36 T:138567680 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
16:10:36 T:138567680 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
16:10:36 T:118730752   ERROR: LIBAFPCLIENT: I have no idea what this is a reply to, id 10577.
16:10:36 T:142934016   ERROR: Previous line repeats 7 times.
16:10:36 T:142934016 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
yeah libafpclient is full of bugs ... thats sad i know ... but no work will be done in that sector the lib is a mess...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
So the AFP support is doomed? I've change to WebDav. Looks like it's running smoother. Subtitles are working after i did:
find ~/Movies/ -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;
eaidland Wrote:So the AFP support is doomed? I've change to WebDav. Looks like it's running smoother. Subtitles are working after i did:
find ~/Movies/ -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

AFP support will only grow in the future, but that specific library is buggy as crap (from what I hear). A different library could be used in its place.
Ned Scott Wrote:AFP support will only grow in the future, but that specific library is buggy as crap (from what I hear). A different library could be used in its place.

good speech Smile
nickydude Wrote:OK I had a similar problem and I believe I got it fixed on my end. I believe you have already disabled the auto updates through NitoTV. It changes the host file and points mesu.apple.com to localhost. Well it actually doesn't because the host file is messed up - there is a blank line before the 127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com. What I did was manually editing the file and deleting that empty line. Do not forget to hit enter after the last line in that host file.
Another thing I did was connecting the atv2 to my router with a cable. I do not trust the wifi streaming especially when it comes to large HD videos Smile

Just check your host file and make sure it looks OK.

here is a copy of mine:

Hi, I've stumbled across this thread on a Google search as I have XMBC on my ATV2 and iPlayer crashes sporidically. It's the only thing I really use XMBC for at the moment (having just got the box last weekend) so I guess it may not be specific to iPlayer. Anyway, what you say sounds like it may be an issue. When I installed iPlayer, I entered the text below:

cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.bak
echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com” >> /etc/hosts
echo “127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com” >> /etc/hosts
echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net” >> /etc/hosts

Is there anything I can check to see if the above is causing the system to hang?
triplesilk Wrote:Hi, I've stumbled across this thread on a Google search as I have XBMC on my ATV2 and iPlayer crashes sporidically. It's the only thing I really use XBMC for at the moment (having just got the box last weekend) so I guess it may not be specific to iPlayer. Anyway, what you say sounds like it may be an issue. When I installed iPlayer, I entered the text below:

cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.bak
echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com” >> /etc/hosts
echo “127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com” >> /etc/hosts
echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net” >> /etc/hosts

Is there anything I can check to see if the above is causing the system to hang?

If i understand correctly you want to know if apple updates are crashing your XBMC. If so your syslog would tell (first link in my sig for how to find it).
Tried the tip from nickydude and changed the entry in my hosts file but this didn`t work out for my problem. Still crashing from time to time.

As far as I understand from the discussion it might be better to change the protocoll from afp to WebDav or something else, right ?

I`ll do so for now and post a new logfile if it still crashes or if some formats still need long time to load.

Thanks for all you help.
You can try it and see if WebDAV works for your set up better or not. I still use WebDAV from time to time when a file is on my laptop and I need to share to my Windows XBMC box (which doesn't have AFP support yet), and it works great. There's still some pros and cons to it (harder to do MySQL stuff, no remote thumb folder, no remote deletion, hard to set up multiple share points), but it works great for a basic set up when all your files are in one spot.
afp constantly and randomly crashes on me when trying to use my (large) music library (~100K songs).

even when just trying to browse albums via the thumbnails view.

ERROR: LIBAFPCLIENT: I have no idea what this is a reply to, id xxxxx
is the bane of my afp existence. switching back to smb for now and will hope for a tighter afp client lib implementation later down the road.

afp generally works ok with my more modest video library (~200 movies) but does occasionally experience the same "i have no idea" crash.

mkb.
Hey Ned...

I have a question regarding your setup, just slightly deviating from the main thread but nevertheless about afp crashes.

My afp sharing with external volumes on the mac is reasonably reliable. However I am experimenting with migrating these volumes to the AEBS where afp sharing for the possible reasons mentioned in other threads is not so "crash" hot.

You have mentioned before that your AEBS setup works relatively well. Is this also the case with afp sharing or have you noticed more reliable performance with the other protocols eg. webdav. I am simply referring to playback and not the peripheral features for now.

Thanks.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Sporadic crashes during playback0