Stuttering from 720p TV shows (mkv from rar from BT)
Hello,

Since TV shows started for a new season, I download all of them in HD. I really often get mkv compressed in different rar files.
I get a lot of stuttering/caching issues with these mkvs. But I do not have any problem at all with large movies.
I try to get H.264 compression if possible.
I use the e330173 nightly.
I have these problems over AFP and FTP, and everytime at the same timecodes.

You can find here the logs:
xbmc log: http://pastebin.com/1yHk7T7k
media info: http://pastebin.com/GPrY8Nvv

I'm thinking I may return to SD ... but what a pity ! 720p and 5.1 is more than nice. Smile

Thanks guys,
and sometimes it perfectly works ... I just watched the episode I used for my bug report without any issue ...
Unpack them from the rar's. Keep a second rar'ed copy if you still need to seed, then delete it when you're done seeding. If it's a compressed rar then the ATV2 has to work harder to play it. mkvs in a compressed rar won't save a significant amount of memory anyways.
It is already unpacked.
I did not know it can work when packed !! (odd idea ... Smile )
ben33400 Wrote:It is already unpacked.
I did not know it can work when packed !! (odd idea ... Smile )

Then you have a dodgy network. The ATV2 will play 99.9% of x264 720p videos flawlessly.
I think of something like that.

I have noticed that it happens more often when my mac (MBP 2007 with Lion) is doing another thing (time machine, HD copy, downloading)...

Does the log confirm that it is coming from a lack of data from the source ? I am not quite sure of what I understood in the log file.
Your log is full of permission errors on the samba shares and it has multiple of these here during playback:

Code:
17:58:58 T:130244608 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

which normally indicates network problems...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
interesting ... the share is over ftp with my Lion MBP.
I have Samba shares, but with a network drive (never had any problem with this drive).

Why are there some SMB messages when I watch a FTP shared show ?

Each one of these errors implies a 15 seconds caching.

I have watched 2 shows today, without issues. My mac was not doing anything special. Is it possible that my 5400rpm HD can not handle HD film reading at the same time of BT/Time machine/etc. ?
ProphetVX Wrote:Then you have a dodgy network. The ATV2 will play 99.9% of x264 720p videos flawlessly.

Do you know if the ATV2 can manage 1080p rared movies?
-gob

I confirm that my MBP 2007 can not handle HD streaming to ATV2 and another HD activity at the same time (Time machine, HD to HD copy, bittorrent).

I find it strange ... but it is a fact.

So no problem in XBMC, ATV2 nor network ! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering from 720p TV shows (mkv from rar from BT)0