[ATV2] Weird traffic (208.44.23.10 and 195.215.221.19)
Question 
Hi,

A couple of days ago I installed the latest nightly (xbmc-20111005-fc24dcb-master-atv2.deb), and somehow my internet usage has exploded (10 GB's pr. day).
I have performed this upgrade on four ATV2 but only one of them has an abnormal traffic pattern (used ManageEngine Netflow and my DD-WRT router to determine this).

Within 10 minutes of the ATV starting up and launching XBMC I have a total of 150 MB "conversation" with these two IP adresses) - and this is just with the XBMC at "idle".
Neither of the IP addresses can be found in XBMC.LOG

For now I've set at a static IP address and removed the gateway, but I would love to find out why this was happening or what those IP adresses "contain".

Sincerely
Mikkel
atvflash added a cloud backup option, you sure that it's not from this ?

you can also add an entry into /etc/hosts to stop it. it's the same way that apple updates can be blocked.
davilla Wrote:atvflash added a cloud backup option, you sure that it's not from this ?

you can also add an entry into /etc/hosts to stop it. it's the same way that apple updates can be blocked.

Don't use ATVFlash - only Seasonpass.
Actually I *think* it may be related to iOS updates. itunes.apple.com has IP adresses in the same range...
For some reason I hadn't edited the host file on that particular ATV to block updates. After doing that the traffic hasn't appeared.

Fingers crossed
Mikkel
208.44.23.10 is registered to "AKAMAI TECHNOLOGIES INC". It's something on Apple's side of things bugging out? Akamai is the distribution network they use for everything.

195.215.221.19 is some company in Denmark (TDC.COM).
Ned Scott Wrote:208.44.23.10 is registered to "AKAMAI TECHNOLOGIES INC". It's something on Apple's side of things bugging out? Akamai is the distribution network they use for everything.

195.215.221.19 is some company in Denmark (TDC.COM).

Yes, I figured that as well. The TDC (Tele Denmark) is the major TelCo in Denmark. But iTunes has IP adresses within the same B class range.
Maybe a coincidence?
Quote:C:\Users\Mikkel>nslookup itunes.apple.com
Server: my.local.dns.server
Address: 192.168.1.1

Ikke-autoritativt svar:
Navn: a1108.da1.akamai.net
Addresses: 195.215.37.23
Aliases: itunes.apple.com
itunes.apple.com.edgesuite.net

The name, a1108.da1.akamai.net could mean that it is a Danish node and the closeness of the IP adresses lends credence to this.

Btw. this kind of sucks when I'm on a metered internet connection, but I guess I'll just have to monitor it a bit more Stare

After editing the host file to block iOS updates on the ATV all traffic has stopped.

/mikkel

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Weird traffic (208.44.23.10 and 195.215.221.19)0