How to organize Music?
Okay So I have not yet figured out how to do music in xbmc cleanly. I have been using xbmc for 3 months now and works great for movies and tv shows but music I always thought it was messy and unorganized. I use headphones to download my music and it works great I have it find the metada and embed it in each folder and song.

My thing is in library mode the music looks horrible if there is an Artist featuring another Artist it will make another folder so if I download an album and 3 or 4 artist feature in it I now have 4 folders in xbmc!

It looks much cleaner if I keep the music out of library mode but if I do that then it wont scan for album information and update album covers etc. Im at a lose lose situation.

For some reason right now I have eden btw and I see all my music in the Music NON library mode but when I click Library mode I only see one Artist..

FYI: It is nicely organized on my computer Folder Artist > Folder Album > Songs in Album. It looks like this out of Library mode just wont scan for album info.

I dont know if I am just making this harder than it is but I can not for the life of me get music nicely organized in xbmc! Help? lol
I'd consider entering something in the Album Artist field for those albums where you have the "featuring" issue. So Album Artist might be "Carlos Santana". Artist for track 1 might be "Carlos Santana featuring Rob Thomas" or (probably better) "Carlos Santana/Rob Thomas". The issue might be working out which field xbmc recognises as Album Artist.

Have a read of http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Preparing_your_Music
if you turn on the 'hide artists that only appear on compilations' thing in the music library settings you don't get those extra artists in library mode. For compilation albums and the like I use albumartist = various artists and then artist = individual track artist (this is the same as d'Wooluf suggests).
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Appreciate the replies guys I'll Check it out after tv show I'm watching now Smile gotta love my htpc!
Okay So I have it currently in library mode. I am just testing it now and have like 8 artists.. It is working about 80% but here is my problem. It decides to randomly stick whole albums in a "Various Artist" folder because it has multiple artists in the album.. If I turn on The multiple Artist setting in xbmc settings than it now multiplies the amount of albums Ill see for example Ill see Justin Timberlake ft. whoever.. 10 different times for each song he has someone else featuring him in..

This is just really confusing..

I have by Eminem the cd Encore.. Well its in the Various Artist folder because it it has other artists on the CD.. but It is an Eminem CD so it would be nice if it would just go under the "Eminem" Folder.

Does this even make sense? lol
It sounds like you need to properly tag all your music using mp3tag or some other type program. I have 10000 songs, many featuring various artists and I don't have any of the problems you're reporting. I did, however, spend the better part of two weeks tagging every single song with art, album, artist, album artist, year, genre, etc.

Before I did that, my music library was a mess and unusable in XBMC.
Check out the wiki here.

Basically, if you have multiple artists for the same album and albumartist is not set then XBMC assumes it is a various artists album. To prevent this you need to set the albumartist tag. For example your Eminem album should have albumartist as eminem and artist as whatever you want. Check out this as an example
Sweet! Thanks guys. Thank you very much for the help its much appreciated glad you guys are helpful.

I did download mp3tag and everyone has an artist but apparently I dont have it right so I will take a look at this and I like the example you posted Rocketpants I think I know why because of your post.

Will work on that right now and see how that turns out.

Thanks again.
Sweet! It worked It was because I need an album Artist. Appreciate the help!
No problems. Now you get the fun job of going through all your music to make sure the tags are right. Its a pain but worth it in the long run Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to organize Music?0