[ALL PLATFORMS] Can't sync using MySQL between windows and linux/mac
I've spent some hours now on getting this to work - with only partial luck so far, and wanted to hear if someone has a solution.

I've installed MySQL on a laptop running Windows 7 x64 for the sole purpose of synchronizing XBMC's library between my home computers.

I've followed this guide (similar to the one Lifehacker posted in 2010):
http://humphrey.za.net/2010/09/25/xbmc-m...room-sync/

In the living room I have a PC running Ubuntu 10.4 with XBMC 10.1
In the bedroom I have another PC running XBMClive 10.1
In the office i have Mac with XBMC 10.1 and a 2 PCs running Windows 7 x64 with XBMC 10.1

Synchronization works between both Linux PCs and the Mac, and sync also works between both Windows PCs.
However, the sync doesn't work between the windows PCs and the Linux/Mac machines.

All computers have the stable version 10.1 installed, all share the same advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml and all are accessing media on the same SAMBA server.

Any ideas on how to get XBMC Windows to sync with XBMC Linux using the MySQL db?
I believe your issue is that WINDOWS are scanning movies in the WINDOW fashion:
n:\path\to\your\movies

and Linux and Mac are using the UNIX format:
servername:/path/to/your/movies

So Windows cannot understand what "servername:/path/to/your/movies"
and Linux/Mac cannot understand "n:\path\to\your\movies"

so... you might have to scrap samba and setup an FTP server (or something) that is universal to both platforms. Maybe a developer can offer some better advice
if you add sources using "windows network (SMB)" then the \ vs / issue shouldn't matter but if using mapped drives you'll run into all sorts of problems.

When you say it won't sync what exactly do you mean? Is it that new media added on one client does not show up on other clients , or that the watched status etc doesn't sync?

Perhaps a debug log may help with this.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Hi again, the only reason I'd like to sync is to be able to resume video playback and see which files already have been watched.

I've only created 2 databases: xbmc_video and xbmc_music

The samba share i'm trying to access from all platforms is:
smb://user:pass@sambaserver/sharedfolder

What i don't get is that the sync works between the 2 windows computers and it also works between the 2 linux computers and the mac, but i't doesn't sync between windows and linux or between windows and mac.
Well, if it can help any others in the future with a similar problem, I guess it's worth posting a solution..

I took a look at the "path" table in the xbmc_video db. There were two different idPath of the same folder
1) smb://user:pass@sambaserver/sharedfolder
2) smb://sambaserver/sharedfolder

In my sources.xml the path is setup like no. 1 above with user and pass. I the deleted user/pass from the path of sources.xml on all computers and entered user/pass manually when i was prompted to do so by XBMC. And now resume playback works across all platforms :)

Can anyone explain why?

Besides security issues - is it bad practice to store user/pass in the paths in sources.xml ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ALL PLATFORMS] Can't sync using MySQL between windows and linux/mac0