Which OS to choose?
Okay I currently have a variety of machines in my house running many different OS's. I have two Apple TVs, and a PS3 that I use to watch media on. The Apple TVs both have XBMC on them. My question is in regards to my media server. Currently I am running Ubuntu Natty but have given thought to installing Snow Leopard or XP SP3.

You may ask why? Well I rip my dvds from my Macbook Pro right now using Ripit or Handbreak. It would be nice to be able to do the ripping on the media server instead of having to bounce it from machine to machine. I enjoy the easy use of both Ripit and Handbreak but am not aware of a Linux version of the those products.

I have also considered XP because I have it lying around. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Currently the only machine having issues is my PS3. For some reason XBMC is not encoding everything properly for it to be completely happy.
handbrake is developed for windows, MacOS, AND linux platforms.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Regarding your PS3, it's because XBMC does not transcode things. So, if you have files that the PS3 cannot natively play, you're out of luck. Use something like PS3 Media Server instead for that.
Yup I have seen Handbreak for all platforms but not Ripit. As for the PS3 I have fallen back to using the PS3 Media Server but its not as enjoyable as XBMC. I do prefer my Linux as I just leave it alone and it does all the work for me. I know there are a few differences between Handbreak for Windows and Mac. What about Linux? How different is it than the other versions of Handbreak?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which OS to choose?0