Mediasource.xml file and how to edit it to remove (S)FTP sources
Hi,
Question: How do I remove entries from mediasources.xml using vi, as vi doesn't seem to exist on my apple TV 2

Background:
loving XBMC - taken me two days to stabilize it on Apple TV software 4.3 build 8F455, but now fine on a nightly build - even though I did get errors in the install - takes me back to my old XBOX days running XBMC Nod

Got a question. I was reading about how FTP, and upnp is faster than SMB - don't know if this is true Blush - so in System => File Manager, after enabling FTP on my NAS drive, I added new FTP / SFTP sources.

Upon adding the new FTP (and SFTP) sources some of them said can't access the resource add anyway, so I said yes, thinking I could edit/delete later as I knew some of the paths were wrong.

Now I can't delete/edit them. When I hold Menu, there is no context menu for the FTP and SFTP sources like there is for my SMB entries.

So went to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata and there was a mediasources.xml file, with a timestamp of when I added the paths containing the following:
<mediasources>
<network>
<location id="1">smb://NASDRIVE/music/</location>
<location id="2">smb://NASDRIVE/photo/Us/</location>
<location id="2">sftp://<account>:<password>@NAS_IP_ADDRESS:22/Videos/01Kids</location>
<location id="3">ftp://<account>:<password>@NAS_IP_ADDRESS:22//video/01Kids</location>
<location id="4">ftp://<account>:<password>@NAS_IP_ADDRESS:22/video/01Kids</location>
<location id="5">smb://NASDRIVE/video/01Kids/</location>
<location id="6">ftp://<account>:<password>@NAS_IP_ADDRESS:22/video/01Movies</location>
<location id="7">smb://NASDRIVE/video/01Movies/</location>
</network>
</mediasources>

So thought I'd remove them from there but I can't find vi to edit the file. Also in sources.xml there are no FTP sources listed, in-case you are wondering.

I hope that makes sense and thank you for reading this lengthy (and probably not very clear post)
If you have NitoTV installed have it install Erica Utilities. It will install a bunch of stuff like vi.

or SSH in and

apt-get install com.ericasadun.utilities

I think
you should be able to
apt-get install vim
To install Vi Improved. I think Nano is there too.
Thank you for that.

I had installed the Erica Utilities via Nito TV, don't know what it added, but sadly no vi. Ran the command at OS level and nothing happened i.e:
com.ericasadun.utilities is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

The command
apt-get install vim
worked a treat. Edited the file fingers crossed.

Just found the webgui for XBMC how awesome is XBMC! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mediasource.xml file and how to edit it to remove (S)FTP sources0