ATV2 can't handle what WDTv can??!
Both devices are roughly the same size, yet my apple tv 2 simply cannot handle streaming my media (mostly 1080p mkv movies). It's constantly buffering and makes it unwatchable. The WDTV Live Plus, on the other hand, streams even the highest bitrate encoded files with ease.

I love XBMC... Id do anything to replace the horrible generic interface on the wdtv. I'm even willing to donate upwards of several thousands of dollars to get it ported to the WDTV Live Plus. Can someone explain why this hasn't happened yet? Or why the atv2 is so loaded down by the same files my WDTV can play without a blip? Until then, as horrible as the interface may be, WDTV is my only option.
xbmc.log so we know which version you are running. details matter.
stay on topic please.
dave2384 Wrote:if you are willing to donate "upwards of several thousands of dollars" why do you not just by a fully fledged HTPC? or something like an asrock or zotac?

Because it isn't for me... it's for the houses I'm setting media centers up in that aren't willing to drop the money on an asrock or some other HTPC.

As far as xbmc.log... I'll paste as soon as I'm back home. However, I just installed xbmc using apt-get, so whatever version is in the repository (yes, I updated it) is the one I'm running.
Chianti Wrote:Because it isn't for me... it's for the houses I'm setting media centers up in that aren't willing to drop the money on an asrock or some other HTPC.

As far as xbmc.log... I'll paste as soon as I'm back home. However, I just installed xbmc using apt-get, so whatever version is in the repository (yes, I updated it) is the one I'm running.

There's the problem. Update to the latest nightlies: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...htly_build
Ned Scott Wrote:There's the problem. Update to the latest nightlies: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...htly_build

Ned,

My media is streaming from my NAS. As indicated, the WDTV has no issues even with the largest of files and bitrates. I'm just curious from your experience with XBMC if I'm better off accessing the files via smb:// or nfs://?
Which do you think is the better option for XBMC in terms of speed?
In theory, nfs should be faster because it has less protocol overhead.

And for me it is/feels faster. Nod
Quote:Because it isn't for me... it's for the houses I'm setting media centers up in that aren't willing to drop the money on an asrock or some other HTPC.
So your setting up media centers for people that won't drop money and your complaining about apple tv performance? How about you give them a choice?
For $300 you get apple tv with xbmc's beautiful interface and plugins that do blah blah blah
Or.....
For $400 you can get wdtv that ensures you can run all 1080p content
Not that atv cannot play 1080 p but you may run into some buffeting issues
*then explain about it in detail and also 720p downscaling and whatever else
**I made up the dollar amounts, I am sure you aren't doing installs for free right?
Chianti Wrote:Ned,

My media is streaming from my NAS. As indicated, the WDTV has no issues even with the largest of files and bitrates. I'm just curious from your experience with XBMC if I'm better off accessing the files via smb:// or nfs://?
Which do you think is the better option for XBMC in terms of speed?

1080P movies over wireless-n using SMB form a G5 Power Mac with zero frame drops.

NFS is better, though. Less overhead, etc.

Not sure why you asked that instead of trying to update XBMC. There are old bugs that can cause buffering and other network issues that have been fixed in the nightlies.
Ned Scott Wrote:1080P movies over wireless-n using SMB form a G5 Power Mac with zero frame drops.

NFS is better, though. Less overhead, etc.

Not sure why you asked that instead of trying to update XBMC. There are old bugs that can cause buffering and other network issues that have been fixed in the nightlies.

I've already updated XBMC - but I'm still having issues. I'm connected in directly with ethernet. I know it makes no sense, but I'll try switching to wireless n instead.
Sounds like you're having network problems.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Sounds like you're having network problems.

I wish that were the case. At least that I could solve. However, as stated earlier, the WDTV is operating under identical conditions and it streams the most intensive movies without a hitch. The same setup with the appletv2 and xbmc and all I see is buffering...

I know for a fact the wdtv is using smb:// because I haven't enabled nfs until now (I have a synology nas). So wdtv+direct network connection+smb = fine... appletv2+xbmc+direct network connection+smb=buffering...

I'm no genius here, but it would appear that something might be slightly off in the network implementation for the atv2 port. I'm running the lastest builds of xbmc on my own HTPC and it's a godsend... literally. As far as I'm concerned, XBMC is the winner. I just hope I can get it working on the atv2, or get them to develop a port for the wdtv Smile It already has custom firmware for it, so...
I give up. There is no logical reason why the atv2 should be having these buffering problems, especially since the wdtv doesn't, and both are connected directly to the same switch my NAS is on. Atv2--
I've ask not once but twice for xbmc.log, when you going to quit stumbling about and provide it.
davilla Wrote:I've ask not once but twice for xbmc.log, when you going to quit stumbling about and provide it.

message me an email to send it to please

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 can't handle what WDTv can??!0